• Advertisement

The Emoji Movie

Clappy

1 hour ago, Steel Sponge said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_emoji_movie/ 

The reviews are in, or at least the first 16. So far, it boasts a score of a big fat zero on Rotten Tomatoes. By the time that 50 or more reviews come around once as the movie officially premieres, I'm expecting a score of at least 5-10%. Still though, the movie is already looking to be a critical failure.

Was anyone surprised, cuz I wasn't.

Rotten Tomatoes update: 22 reviews, still a 0% approval rating.

Also, the critical consensus is actually just an emoji of a crossed out circle, which basically means "No."

Edited by Steel Sponge

Honestly, the funniest thing about the Rotten Tomatoes score is that if you go ahead and actually read the Fresh reviews (all two of them!), they're literally saying the exact same thing the Rotten reviews - mediocre at best and Product Placement: The Movie at worst.

Although then again, for how much I joke about this movie, that's only at a glance. Some ideas, like that one film where John Wayne played Genghis Khan (You don't remember?) are admirable in just how bad the idea was (although that wasn't the only reason that film would've been remembered... just scroll down on that Wikipedia page for the unfortunate... conditions). They truly make for material I consider funnibad.

As for potential funnibad in The :cosby: Movie?

Spoiler

nuthin

...just nothing. Like, if you were planning on watching this ironically, you might as well be watching a blank screen, because there's nothing in the enjoyable sort of cringe that keeps me coming back to cringe compilations and the ilk from what I've seen. If you actually pay to see this, for ironic reasons, that's probably the worst thing you could do with this, as that'll most likely make way for a bleak as hell future where movies succeed on identity rather than effort.

Please, for the love of god, I hope this blows up in Sony's face.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Burgerpants said:

I would wait until the next weekend before I judge the movie's box office performance. $25 mill isn't good for an opening weekend performance for a $50 budget animated film, but it's not too critical either since the movie managed to get into the top two. So far, I see it more as an under-performance.

2 hours ago, Steel Sponge said:

I would wait until the next weekend before I judge the movie's box office performance. $25 mill isn't good for an opening weekend performance for a $50 budget animated film, but it's not too critical either since the movie managed to get into the top two. So far, I see it more as an under-performance.

A part of me wonders if in like 20-25 years this will be seen in the same light as we see films like Batman and Robin or Troll 2 or something. I don't think this is as bad as those but I can't help but wonder.

3 hours ago, CyanideFishbone said:

A part of me wonders if in like 20-25 years this will be seen in the same light as we see films like Batman and Robin or Troll 2 or something. I don't think this is as bad as those but I can't help but wonder.

I mean, you can have fun while watching either of those films. Like I said before, this doesn't even seen interestingly bad.

(On a side note, while I'm talking about it in a positive (?) light, I always associate watching a random scene of BaR around midnight when I was 8 with introducing this song to me, so it's done something right, at least?)

• Like 1

My prediction for this movie was that it would be mediocre and underperform at the box office.

*looks at the reviews and its performance at the box office on opening weekend*

Well, I got half of that right. I don't know whether to be pleasantly surprised by THE AMERICAN PUBLIC NOT BUYING INTO THE CORPORATE WORLD, MAN or be pleasantly surprised by there being no debate here and no reason to quarrel for once. The movie stinks, so let's just not go. And everyone's just like, "Sure.". After seeing so many stupid shitstorms over movies like Ghostbusters (2016) and Suicide Squad, this is a nice change of pace. :)

• Like 1

I haven't watched it yet but the plot still sounds better than what I thought it would be which was barely any main character focus, let alone one of a grumpy/meh face. Though the trailers' jokes are pretty badly written.. I didn't really care for the ironic liking of this movie (though Jacksfilms is the true #1 fan) that much but I still kinda want to see in in theaters just to experience how bad it truly is. But again, the previews and trailers don't seem to hide that factor.

Don't Bring Me Down really is in every animated movie trailer these days, huh.

well i found something positive that can be said about the movie

Yeah, according to more evidence that has come to light, the movie did not kill Genndy Tartakovsky's Popeye. Long story short, people at Sony had been skeptical of the project succeeding for a while and pushed it back months before they picked up The Emoji Movie.

Guilty of being a shit movie but innocent of killing Popeye. Strange trial that would be.

Spoiler

I watched most of this movie online oops. Okay I'll admit I liked Gene and somewhat the Smiley until she'd got irritating. The main problem with this movie was it was in one word, mediocre. You can go on your own phone and do something more funner. Sir Poop was just there to make poop jokes. It was only somewhat ironically funny, everything else was dull. The parents' sideplot was got unneeded. Like why did they split up for 10 mins and then come back together? and their meh personalities got old quickly. Jailbait was so confusing on her message of feminism and then she switched back to being a princess. Seriously people are right, don't see this in theaters. It'll be the most dry and pandering hr and a half you sit through.

Well, I hate to break it to you guys, but this movie...is a moderate success.

By far, it grossed 127 million worldwide, selling 73 million domestically, just slightly passing Captain Underpants' domestic sales on Box Office Mojo. It even barely reached the top 25 to boot (It definitely won't last long on there, but still...). I'm not going to say "I told you so," but this is anything but critical damage on the company's part.

I'll be seeing you guys until SPA releases their four, count 'em FOUR, planned films over the course of 2018.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

Well, I hate to break it to you guys, but this movie...is a moderate success.

By far, it grossed 127 million worldwide, selling 73 million domestically, just slightly passing Captain Underpants' domestic sales on Box Office Mojo. It even barely reached the top 25 to boot (It definitely won't last long on there, but still...). I'm not going to say "I told you so," but this is anything but critical damage on the company's part.

I'll be seeing you guys until SPA releases their four, count 'em FOUR, planned films over the course of 2018.

Of course it's a moderate success. Sony Pictures always makes movies that only do reasonably. The lack of quality of their films can be compensated by the fact that they have a big name in the industry, it's nothing to be surprised about. It's not like this is a big win for them. In fact, I'm willing to bet that was part of the reason why it was so cheaply made, because they knew they were risking a loss if the budget was any higher.

3 minutes ago, Dr. WhoBruh said:

first thing you see on it's IMDB page.

59a06a750ba6a_me2.png.0fca982b209c5d6176c191078543e230.png

I agree with this.

TOTALLY LEGIT