• Advertisement

The Emoji Movie

Clappy

I'm not all for judging a teaser or trailer before a movie's release. However, I do know that the main job for any one of these factors is to get the audience's attention and give them something exciting enough that they'll want to see the movie, but oh my god, that teaser was just awful, not just because it does the exact opposite of what a teaser/trailer should do.

Edited by Steel's Going for a Ride

Well, it's finally here, so now I can finally vent about how The Emoji Movie is looking like a massive trainwreck of a animated movie based on a real first impression:

So here's a game I have for y'all: find something original about the concept, premise, or storyline, but rest assured you might not have any luck or that I might find a winner. Based on what I've seen from the trailer, it's about the life of sentient emojis who live inside a different world, (The LEGO Movie, Wreck-It Ralph) which is the world inside (Inside Out) our smartphones. We also get to see what the emojis do when we're not within their aspect (Toy Story, The Secret Life of Pets, Sausage Party). However, we also get a glimpse of the outside world (Inside Out, again) and see their point of view. The main character Gene, is a social outcast (Red from The Angry Birds Movie, Norm from Norm of the North, Oscar from Shark Tale, Flint from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Chicken Little) whose main goal in life is to have all members of society understand that he's more than just something that he is. The outcast would then go on a journey and try to do something extraordinary, so soon he would feel like he belongs in the world and society he lives in. (The titular characters from Wreck-It Ralph and Turbo, Emmet from The LEGO Movie, Dusty from Planes) On his way to find himself, he finds an ally in a female (Wyldstyle from The LEGO Movie, Vanessa from Bee Movie, Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph) emoji who, in a sense, is much like Gene and understands how he feels. Gene is willing help with her task of reaching the outside world. Along the way, Gene also befriends his comedic sidekick (Whatever you want to put in here, there's a lot examples for this one.) Is there something I'm missing?....Oh yeah, incredibly forced toilet humor. Shouldn't have forgotten about that when we have the poop emoji as part of the cast.

And that's what I can make out of from this trailer, and as you all can see from my point of view, I find it hard to see if there was any effort put into this since this already feels like almost every single animated movie since this decade, let alone since the past decade. But I'm not saying that there's nothing unique about the Emoji Movie, or it could automatically be one of the worst animated movies in most recent memory. My main complaint about this movie so far is that it feels like a lot of things that's just been done to death. A part of me also wants to see if this movie will end up failing commercially, so that Sony Pictures Animation might learn a lesson about trendhopping for ideas for an animated movie or know to avoid cliches like the plague. But who knows? Maybe the movie will succeed in the box office thanks to the silent majority. Maybe it will be fairly mediocre. Otherwise, I'm skipping this until I ever decide to give myself the time to watch this just for kicks.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Steel Sponge said:

Well, it's finally here, so now I can finally vent about how The Emoji Movie is looking like a massive trainwreck of a animated movie based on a real first impression:

So here's a game I have for y'all: find something original about the concept, premise, or storyline, but rest assured you might not have any luck or that I might find a winner. Based on what I've seen from the trailer, it's about the life of sentient emojis who live inside a different world, (The LEGO Movie, Wreck-It Ralph) which is the world inside (Inside Out) our smartphones. We also get to see what the emojis do when we're not within their aspect (Toy Story, The Secret Life of Pets, Sausage Party). However, we also get a glimpse of the outside world (Inside Out, again) and see their point of view. The main character Gene, is a social outcast (Red from The Angry Birds Movie, Norm from Norm of the North, Oscar from Shark Tale, Flint from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Chicken Little) whose main goal in life is to have all members of society understand that he's more than just something that he is. The outcast would then go on a journey and try to do something extraordinary, so soon he would feel like he belongs in the world and society he lives in. (The titular characters from Wreck-It Ralph and Turbo, Emmet from The LEGO Movie, Dusty from Planes) On his way to find himself, he finds an ally in a female (Wyldstyle from The LEGO Movie, Vanessa from Bee Movie, Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph) emoji who, in a sense, is much like Gene and understands how he feels. Gene is willing help with her task of reaching the outside world. Along the way, Gene also befriends his comedic sidekick (Whatever you want to put in here, there's a lot examples for this one.) Is there something I'm missing?....Oh yeah, incredibly forced toilet humor. Shouldn't have forgotten about that when we have the poop emoji as part of the cast.

And that's what I can make out of from this trailer, and as you all can see from my point of view, I find it hard to see if there was any effort put into this since this already feels like almost every single animated movie since this decade, let alone since the past decade. But I'm not saying that there's nothing unique about the Emoji Movie, or it could automatically be one of the worst animated movies in most recent memory. My main complaint about this movie so far is that it feels like a lot of things that's just been done to death. A part of me also wants to see if this movie will end up failing commercially, so that Sony Pictures Animation might learn a lesson about trendhopping for ideas for an animated movie or know to avoid cliches like the plague. But who knows? Maybe the movie will succeed in the box office thanks to the silent majority. Maybe it will be fairly mediocre. Otherwise, I'm skipping this until I ever decide to give myself the time to watch this just for kicks.

Honestly that exactly seems like the worst thing about it. Literally from what we've seen every concept in it has become so goddamn cliche it isn't even funny. It's like the animated movie formula of now; some things that are not human live inside their own world and it focuses on one thing who's an outcast and goes on some sort of adventure with a female character and a comedy relief character to make sure the kids are laughing. It's so god damn stupid, and this formula has been done to death where to the fact where I see something with it i instantly cancel it out, and I don't even like most mainstream animated movies (the last two I saw were Inside Out and the Blue Sky Peanuts movie which I loved both), it's just...... god. The fact it's been done so much is what makes it looks so bad. The fact it seems it's adding NOTHING new to the formula is what makes it particularly annoying to me. 

I could ramble about how dumb the concept is but that's been beaten to death. I just.... I see no reason for this to succeed, and I never had hope for it in the first place, honestly who did? I know you're probably asking me "Cyanide, why are you getting a little heated over this? It's following something that's been done to death, and it's adding nothing new, won't it fade into obscurity?" and yeah, the latter will probably happen. But just the fact it's just the formula all over again with no change just annoys me. I guess I should pass on as I'm more angry at that formula than this movie, but it is a movie at the end of the day, but that fact doesn't stop me criticizing on just how lazy this whole thing looks, and yeah, I know I didn't have hope for it, but just... come on, Hollywood.

And also we've got Deputy Director Bullock from American Dad as the poop emoji.... Fantastic.

Edited by CyanideFishbone

:peridot:

...oh shit, i made that very joke on the first page. oops

Honestly though I've been laughing at this right from the very first announcement, if only because this is quite literally the equivalent of a straight-to-video film, complete with Dove "Family Approved" stickers and quotes from local newstations or papers from the middle of Bumfuck, U.S.A that may or may not have been faked (I mean, this very company's done it before), somehow getting released to the masses without question.

• Like 4

I already reiterated what Steel said on the first page about how unoriginal this idea is, but the fact that Sony canned their Popeye movie by Genndy Tartakovsky for this is just infuriating.

• Like 3

Yeah, so, I can overlook the whole "unoriginal story" thing, because when you boil any story down to its base elements it's always going to resemble some sort of amalgam of things that already exists. The point is more to see how else that particular story can be told. This is a super basic premise and I don't think anyone at Sony thinks any differently - they just wanted to take it and see how you could tell that story through emojis (like how The LEGO Movie was a super basic premise told through legos). Fine, whatever. There's a clear fundamental misunderstanding on their part of why some movies like this are successful, but that can't be entirely be helped when you have a movie created by executives and market research.

See, my problem with this is that we're supposed to take this thing seriously. Are they for real with some of the lines in this? "What if you get sent out in the phone - making the wrong face?"/"Dad, I'll make the right face! Then I'll finally fit in..."/"I'm an Emoji, I've gotta have some sort of purpose here!" The fact that they're actually trying to sell that as the main conflict and Gene's character arc is just downright insulting to the audience's intelligence. It's a shame too, because TJ Miller is honestly pretty perfect casting for the "meh" character trait, and this cast by and large is just way too talented and well-respected to be given this kind of material to work with.

Also, lol at the eggplant emoji being in the "rarely used" lounge. I feel like that just shows how out of touch Sony is with this whole thing.

I sincerely hope this is a ? and it gives everyone over there a rude awakening that they can't just ? things out.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, terminoob said:

Also, lol at the eggplant emoji being in the "rarely used" lounge. I feel like that just shows how out of touch Sony is with this whole thing.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice that too.  If anything, the meh emoji should be in that lounge.  I didn't even know it existed and thought it was a marketing ploy for this piece of ?.

• Like 1

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_emoji_movie/ 

The reviews are in, or at least the first 16. So far, it boasts a score of a big fat zero on Rotten Tomatoes. By the time that 50 or more reviews come around once as the movie officially premieres, I'm expecting a score of at least 5-10%. Still though, the movie is already looking to be a critical failure.

15 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_emoji_movie/ 

The reviews are in, or at least the first 16. So far, it boasts a score of a big fat zero on Rotten Tomatoes. By the time that 50 or more reviews come around once as the movie officially premieres, I'm expecting a score of at least 5-10%. Still though, the movie is already looking to be a critical failure.

I like the last one I read: "The Poochie of movies."

How fitting.

• Like 1