• Advertisement

The Millennial Generation

Guest hilaryfan80

Guest hilaryfan80

After seeing so many posts about how the millennial generation is "too entitled" and won't face "the real world," I decided to make a post on Facebook about the whole thing. Below is my post. Note that this is a serious discussion, so please make comments that are serious. Feel free to agree or disagree! I'd like to hear your comments.

Honesty moment. The millennial generation will grow up to do great things in America. Before you hit the comment button and rant about how that statement is wrong, please read what I have to say. I hear adults say frequently that the millennials are "too entitled" and like to be in "safe bubbles" instead of "facing the real world." Allow me to tell you that the millennials are the very first generation in known human history that have been able to talk in public discourse (any public discussion of rights, societial issues, and politics) at the high school age. In past generations, adults have been quick to say that teenagers do not know what the "real world" is like because they are not full adults yet, quickly dismissing anything teenagers have to say as a result. Yet, we have seen the exact opposite within the millennials: with discussions on the Internet, millennials are rapidly increasing protests and rallies about issues they care about (LGBT rallies, feminism protests, minimum wage protests, etc.) at a very young age. Believe it or not, this is the first generation ever to have teenagers trying to make a difference in everyone's lives before the age of 21! They actively protest for changes in society that benefit everyone instead of sitting at home and "facing the real world." For example, instead of facing the real world that there are homophobes, teenagers are now going out and trying to educate people! Millennials are trying to make changes that no other generation has ever attempted before, and this is incredible! They're not trying to create "safe bubbles" as adults have been so careless to point out, they're trying to make changes to everyone's lives that betters everyone! If you think for a second that this isn't significant, then please reconsider. You may or may not agree with what some millennials are protesting, and this is ok, but at least meet me half way and agree that the fact that millennials are protesting at such a young age is amazing. Honestly, I really like how millennials are more vocal, and I really do think that, with these discussions, America will become a better place in the future. For the first time, everyone is able to contribute their thoughts instead of sitting at home and facing "the real world" (aka doing nothing about it) for once.

As a millennial, I disagree. Our generation is too entitled,. A lot of us have been raised to believe that we're special, that we don't have to work hard to get what we want, and the effects of that are showing up in falling test scores and rising unemployment among people in my age group. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone. It hasn't applied to me, but I see it around me all the time. While this generation might be more socially conscious than generations past, I wouldn't say it's more socially active. People my age took to the streets in the 60s and 70s to protest segregation and to protest the Vietnam War, and while some young people still do that for the issues they care about, most of them just stay at home and retweet hashtags or sign some online petition thinking that'll be enough to change anything. We do live in a bubble. We haven't done a good enough job getting ready for the real world, and that's on our parents as much as it's on us. While I believe we can still grow up to accomplish great things, it doesn't necessarily make the things adults are saying about our generation wrong.

• Like 2

It's common nature for the generation before you to be berating the newer one. In twenty years we'll be making fun of younger people, at least most of us. I think it's cynicism or how dangerous nostalgia can be.

• Like 2

After seeing and hearing so much arrogant, cynical, and derisive criticism of the millennial generation, I have to agree with this. Human nature has always been the same and things have always sucked, plain and simple. Yes, the millennial generation has problems, but it gets utterly tiring and immature beating up on any one generation while paying no attention to the good they've done.

Maybe some people in our generation are entitled but my parents never raised me to be that way. My mom came from a poor family in Jamaica and she had to work her butt off to get where she is today. She and my dad always tell my brother and I to be grateful, work hard, and take advantage of opportunities that come our way. Still, that's only my experience. Can't speak for others.

I wish adults would look at both sides and see the good our generation can and will do instead of having a mainly negative outlook.

I also have to slightly disagree with JCM. Yeah, protesting does do something, but talking about issues online raises awareness, which is good as well. Not everyone can go out and do something but it's always useful to be educated.

• Like 2

That's something I constantly tell my parents about. They always expect me to follow their beliefs and way of life when the reality is that times have changed. Our generation is totally different from theirs as we grew up with technology such as video games, cellphones, internet, etc. To some extent I can understand their point on being opposed to lgbt rights and modern tech since they came from a different world where that wasn't the norm. I wouldn't say Millennials are bad, but they're different just like any other generation. But as I said before, we come from a different world that's quickly evolving into something greater. Who knows, maybe in 20/30 years we'll see a better world, one that our parents and grandparents never imagined possible.

Guest hilaryfan80
1 hour ago, Elastic Dawg said:

From what i've seen, the millenial generation is more about complaining about shit than actually doing something about it. With the internet and how widespread and easy cheap entertainment is to get nowadays, everyone seems content to sit around and get fucked over without realizing it. Baby boomers said the same shit about Gen Xers, and, although I hope i'm proven wrong, we've taken the slacker aesthetic of Gen X and multiplied it ten fold. Everything's become so ironic and detached. People don't go good things to help out their fellow man anymore, it's about gaining some form of respect through it. Same with the whole SJW thing, it's more about looking tolerant than actually being open-minded. Whatever. I'll just stock up on drugs and rot away in an apartment. Death to the 21st century.

When you try to enter the job market where you are constantly told that you need experience to get a job but you can't get experience without having a job, then yeah, you're going to want something in return from volunteering and helping the greater good. That's just how it is. Our economic system is broken. Even Bernie Sanders says it's broken. I can see why this generation is seen as lazy: the previous generations were able to get a job, gain experience, and move up in the work force. Meanwhile, our generation needs to have experience before having the slightest opportunity to gain experience which makes no sense whatsoever. Some people on SBC have had this fact hit them very hard - they've told me. It's sad.

I don't think it's necessarily true that our generation is content to "sit around and get fucked over without realizing it." Everyone I know in Kentucky complains how there's nothing to do around here - all we have are bars and the Internet. Yet, I know plenty of millennials who go to the park frequently just to get out of the house. I know plenty of millennials who have jobs. And you would think that what you said is 1000x more true in Kentucky because there's nothing to do here. If what you said isn't true in Kentucky, then I highly doubt that it's true everywhere else.

You are spot on with the SJW thing. It's all show and complaining.

5 hours ago, Elastic Dawg said:

Same with the whole SJW thing, it's more about looking tolerant than actually being open-minded. Whatever. I'll just stock up on drugs and rot away in an apartment. Death to the 21st century.

SJWs are a freaking laughingstock, no one takes them seriously. They're to feminist and social activist groups what Donald Trump is to politics, by far the easiest target to criticize and satire in modern-day culture as something that does more harm than good. I'm even getting a weird vibe that I'm not the first person to make that joke I just made about them.

I know it's an exaggeration, but I can't fight the urge to point out that "rotting away with drugs in an apartment"...is not the way to handle anything. Anything. I know from experience because I lost my older sister to drugs. I can accept that you really dislike the 21st century, but a much better, healthier solution I can offer is to make light of the bad and look to the good. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SpongeBob's #1 Fan said:

When does the Millennial Generation end and the next generation over begin?

Hard to say, but a generation usually lasts for about 20 years at most so you could say everyone here is a millennial. So technically it starts in 1982 and ends in 2004 according to some sources. Though others put the end in 1996, it depends which definition you're using.

23 hours ago, SpongeBob's #1 Fan said:

When does the Millennial Generation end and the next generation over begin?

The generation after the Millennials are the un-named 'Generation Z' . There's no universally agreed upon year of where that generations starts or where the Millennials end, but dates ranging from 1996-2006 are common. 

millennials are a product of the economy which the ppl b4 us fucked over and the wide variety of messages the media instated into our baby minds when we were shitting diapers thru shows/music/watever else. when we were growing up the big message was "BE YOURSELF" and "YOU ARE GRATE BRO!" and now kids are being themselves and generation b4 that are salty about it. and it doesn't really matter since all generations complain and everyone complains and finally we have outlets to express our own damn selves that generations b4 didnt have so they r mad salty. be glad we have all this at our finger tips (if we are so privileged 2 have it [sorry for saying the P word y'all dont get butthurt)

it also inspires arrogant holier-than-thou edgy teenagers claiming they see past the "bullshit" when they are just playing into the older generation's hands..playin videogames, complaining about "social justice warriors",  typing in lowercase on the internet doing this comment-spree rebellion on da internet just becuz their fav female character cant only wear swimsuits when they should just grow up and do drugs and stfu

• Like 3

13 hours ago, crushingmayhem said:

Hard to say, but a generation usually lasts for about 20 years at most so you could say everyone here is a millennial. So technically it starts in 1982 and ends in 2004 according to some sources. Though others put the end in 1996, it depends which definition you're using.

So I'm either a centennial or a millennial. I wonder what stereotype my generation will have. 

On 4/1/2016 at 4:02 PM, Drag2013 said:

millennials are a product of the economy which the ppl b4 us fucked over and the wide variety of messages the media instated into our baby minds when we were shitting diapers thru shows/music/watever else. when we were growing up the big message was "BE YOURSELF" and "YOU ARE GRATE BRO!" and now kids are being themselves and generation b4 that are salty about it. and it doesn't really matter since all generations complain and everyone complains and finally we have outlets to express our own damn selves that generations b4 didnt have so they r mad salty. be glad we have all this at our finger tips (if we are so privileged 2 have it [sorry for saying the P word y'all dont get butthurt)

it also inspires arrogant holier-than-thou edgy teenagers claiming they see past the "bullshit" when they are just playing into the older generation's hands..playin videogames, complaining about "social justice warriors",  typing in lowercase on the internet doing this comment-spree rebellion on da internet just becuz their fav female character cant only wear swimsuits when they should just grow up and do drugs and stfu

If this is true, then what a shame that individualism is frowned upon in a country that's supposed to be the "home of the free, land of the brave".

Personally, I think the hatred of the millennial generation has gone overboard. We are no worse than past generations, and it bothers me that people think of us as lazy, entitled, etc. 

• Like 1