• Advertisement

Harper Lee, writer of To Kill a Mockingbird, dies

JCM

In what is quickly proving to be one of the worst years to be alive, Nelle Harper Lee, writer of the best-selling novel To Kill a Mockingbird, was found dead this morning at the age of 89. As somebody whose parents grew up in the segregated South, I can't understate the impact TKAM had on me. I also loved the movie with Gregory Peck as Atticus, one of cinema's greatest performances. She'll definitely be missed, and her impact will not be forgotten.

• Like 3

To Kill a Mockingbird is an American great. She will be missed. 

I feel incredibly bad for her however. I can't help but feel her publishers grossly took advantage of her in publishing Go Set a Watchman. All for money. They said her consent was given, but she was an old woman with an ailing mind. I can't remember where I read it, but I also think one of her loved ones expressed doubt about if she really knew what was going on. Logically, as well, if she had wanted to released a second novel, she would have done it earlier in life. Who knows? May she rest in peace. 

• Like 4

Guest hilaryfan80

As an English teacher, I can tell you that all of us were predicting her death. She did not want the sequel, Go Set a Watchman, released at all through her entire life. The fame she received after releasing To Kill a Mockingbird in 1960 drove her crazy, so she disappeared from everything, refusing to do interviews and everything. She basically fell off the face of the planet in an attempt to live a normal life. She had already written Go Set a Watchman a few years after To Kill a Mockingbird, but she purposely did not release the novel so that she wouldn't get famous again. It's highly speculated that her family had released the novel last year because they knew she was dying, and they wanted to use the novel's revenue to pay for her funeral expenses. So a lot of us saw it coming.

Either way, this is very sad news. :/