• Advertisement

Accepting Other People's Opinions

Clappy

I couldn't have said this better myself. Props to you, man. :) 

Seriously, though, given the general age range of our members here, I would expect that this shouldn't even HAVE to be addressed... yet here we are. Come on, quit being so hateful to each other.

Edited by Mermaid Magic

This. Just this. I don't get why people hate on others just because they have an opinion that differs theirs. I mean, sure, there's disagreeing with an opinion and replying to it in a nice, constructive manner, but at least that's a calm way to state your opinion without starting an argument or debate. Then, there's stuff like "OMG YOU LIKE/HATE THIS SHOW YOU SUCK" which usually leads to an argument in the thread which results in a topic lock (i.e. Frozen 2 thread). I know I have been guilty of doing stuff like this in the past. Sometimes on other sites, sometimes on here. But at least I have the guts to come clean and confess. I have made a post like this recently where I called out (NAME WITHHELD) for insulting Gravity Falls and calling it a bad name. I mean, sure, it was pretty mean, but I called him out in a bad way and I think it drove him away from this site. I felt so bad about the post that I erased it. I just hope I can try and change for the better of it and try to forget that incident ever happened.

And that's what drives people away from Downtown Bikini Bottom and SBC in general. Arguments like the one in the feminism topic are what drive people away from the site. We are not kids in kindergarten fighting on the playground. We are mature high schoolers/college people/adults who settle things respectively without calling each other names. Please, for the love of god, act like the latter in this situation. Don't make the same mistake that me and other people have made before.

That is all I would like to say. Please respect my opinion on this.

• Like 4

We all have different opinions regarding different subjects, people need to understand that not everyone thinks the same way. Fighting over topics is something that happens in a lot of forums, but in my opinion it shouldn't happen in ours because we're supposed to be discussing a show like SB which is a children's show. Never be afraid to voice your opinion on a subject since that's what forums are for, as long as you don't offend others you'll be fine. But insulting others and/or offending others is not to be tolerated under any circumstances. If you're one of those who likes offending others then you'll be penalized as that is against the rules of the forum.

1 hour ago, Fred Rechid said:

This. Just this. I don't get why people hate on others just because they have an opinion that differs theirs. I mean, sure, there's disagreeing with an opinion and replying to it in a nice, constructive manner, but at least that's a calm way to state your opinion without starting an argument or debate. Then, there's stuff like "OMG YOU LIKE/HATE THIS SHOW YOU SUCK" which usually leads to an argument in the thread which results in a topic lock (i.e. Frozen 2 thread).  Arguments like the one in the feminism topic are what drive people away from the site.

yeah, both those topics were unpleasant, just my opinion

I'd like to add that I have always especially hated it when topics have to be locked because of that kind of fighting. It's like, "Aw, you wanted to voice your thoughts on this? Well, too bad! You have to pay for others not being able to control themselves!".

Not respecting someone else's opinion doesn't just negatively impact the guy on the other side of the screen, it negatively impacts everyone.

35 minutes ago, crushingmayhem said:

Fighting over topics is something that happens in a lot of forums, but in my opinion it shouldn't happen in ours because we're supposed to be discussing a show like SB which is a children's show.

...I mean not to disrespect your opinion, but I feel the reason it shouldn't happen is because we're mature human beings who should know better.

I admit I have been part of the problem before, especially with some of my arguments on the Xat. I'm going to be more open minded from now on and apologize for that.

5 hours ago, Fred Rechid said:

This. Just this. I don't get why people hate on others just because they have an opinion that differs theirs. I mean, sure, there's disagreeing with an opinion and replying to it in a nice, constructive manner, but at least that's a calm way to state your opinion without starting an argument or debate. Then, there's stuff like "OMG YOU LIKE/HATE THIS SHOW YOU SUCK" which usually leads to an argument in the thread which results in a topic lock (i.e. Frozen 2 thread). I know I have been guilty of doing stuff like this in the past. Sometimes on other sites, sometimes on here. But at least I have the guts to come clean and confess. I have made a post like this recently where I called out (NAME WITHHELD) for insulting Gravity Falls and calling it a bad name. I mean, sure, it was pretty mean, but I called him out in a bad way and I think it drove him away from this site. I felt so bad about the post that I erased it. I just hope I can try and change for the better of it and try to forget that incident ever happened.

And that's what drives people away from Downtown Bikini Bottom and SBC in general. Arguments like the one in the feminism topic are what drive people away from the site. We are not kids in kindergarten fighting on the playground. We are mature high schoolers/college people/adults who settle things respectively without calling each other names. Please, for the love of god, act like the latter in this situation. Don't make the same mistake that me and other people have made before.

That is all I would like to say. Please respect my opinion on this.

I apologize for the feminism topic, since I was a part of the drama behind it. I worded my posts wrong and came off as bigoted/an asshole.

Edited by Teamwork

Basically disagreeing with someone does not give you the right to act like an arrogant asshole and a bully because of it. There should be absolutely no reason that someone is afraid to share their opinion on this site. Respect, people.