• Advertisement

Changing the voting age: yay or nay?

Katniss

What do you think?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the voting age

• The voting age should be lowered.
    • Keep the age at 18.

I was listening to NPR today and they were running a news story about how Washington, D.C. is considering letting 16-year-olds voting in this year's presidential election. It would be an interesting move for sure. Is this a good idea? Should young people be allowed to have a voice, or are they not mature enough?

link to the original story

Edited by katnisslovestacos

I think it should stay at 18. While some 16 year olds are more than capable of voting, I don't think a huge majority of them have a ready understanding of politics and the U.S. government to be voting. That being said, neither do a lot of 18 year olds. 

My biggest fear is that lowering the voting age would open the door to a Trump victory, wherein some kids find it funny to vote for him and he would win. 

• Like 3

Guest hilaryfan80

As a future high school teacher who deals with 16 year olds....

No.

The English curriculum for 16 year olds involves logical fallacies and argumentative essays, the stuff that is required to make an informed decision in the presidential election. Everyone should at least go through that education before being allowed to vote.

Keep it at 18, or make it 21, but do not allow 16 year olds.

Honestly I didn't give a crap about politics when I was 16. Even if i had gotten the right to vote then I wouldn't have exercised it, not to mention the fact that I was just another immature teen. Yes, there are 16-year-olds that are mature for their age, but still. I think keeping it at 18 is fine.

Edited by katnisslovestacos

I can admit that many 18 year olds are not all that responsible in important decision making, people older than 18 can sometimes be more capable of important decisions in comparison. Though its usually people older than 25 or even 30 that are usually more responsible for these kind of things, at that age you are usually more responsible and mature for every decision you make, given that people get more serious with their lives at that age. So yeah, raising the voting age would do wonders in some aspects but at the same time it would kinda contradict the age of majority.

It needs to be raised, not lowered. If we can't trust our 18 year olds to drink until they are 21, then how can we trust them to make an important decision like voting on the leader of our country? Besides, most 16 year olds are only concerned about one thing: their peer groups and their career path after high school.

Yeah no offense to those under eighteen, but unless the education system is willing to teach them about politics in full detail by the age of sixteen, then that would be the only way to even justify lowering the voting age.  Hell, even then, I don't trust that nearly all of them would be able to grasp the importance of such a privilege.  Not saying that all sixteen year olds are immature, but with the amount of substituting I have done especially in a high school setting, I think that the voting age should be raised if anything than lowered.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2016 at 5:37 PM, tvguy said:

I think it should stay at 18. While some 16 year olds are more than capable of voting, I don't think a huge majority of them have a ready understanding of politics and the U.S. government to be voting. That being said, neither do a lot of 18 year olds. 

My biggest fear is that lowering the voting age would open the door to a Trump victory, wherein some kids find it funny to vote for him and he would win. 

I think it would be really funny if he won.