• Advertisement

What is your opinion on gun control?

TheBigOcean

I agree that we need some sort of gun control, but I don't think banning them will help very much. Black markets could exploit the shit out of this for a fortune. In addition, if someone is that determined to go on a shooting spree, I doubt a small little rule will stop them. It'll be another Prohibition Era. Then again, even if all the guns in the world were destroyed, I'm sure they'll find another way. Knives? Bombs? Anthrax? Poisonous substances? I guess we should ban electricity too since a terrorist could probably use it as a weapon.

But enough slippery slope fallacies. Humans will be humans. So all in all the notion of gun control is something I support, but I don't expect shooting sprees to suddenly go away.

• Like 2

I agree that we need some sort of gun control, but I don't think banning them will help very much. Black markets could exploit the shit out of this for a fortune. In addition, if someone is that determined to go on a shooting spree, I doubt a small little rule will stop them. It'll be another Prohibition Era. Then again, even if all the guns in the world were destroyed, I'm sure they'll find another way. Knives? Bombs? Anthrax? Poisonous substances? I guess we should ban electricity too since a terrorist could probably use it as a weapon.

But enough slippery slope fallacies. Humans will be humans. So all in all the notion of gun control is something I support, but I don't expect shooting sprees to suddenly go away.

Well we don't expect shootings to disappear or anything, but the simple problem is that we don't have a single thing to lose if we simply make access to guns more difficult. Restricting gun access would only lead to neutral at the very least.

Edited by Halibut
  • Like 1

I believe in the right to bear arms - to an extent. I concur with everyone else in the thread talking about more regulation, background checks, etc. However, I only think you should be able to own a firearm for the SOLE PURPOSE of self-defense. I do not believe in hunting for sport, and I think that it should be outlawed.

• Like 1

I believe in the right to bear arms - to an extent. I concur with everyone else in the thread talking about more regulation, background checks, etc. However, I only think you should be able to own a firearm for the SOLE PURPOSE of self-defense. I do not believe in hunting for sport, and I think that it should be outlawed.

I have to agree with this, i think it's kinda sick that people hunt for sport. I barely understand the appeal for it all, unless someone is willing to explain to me how it's not morally wrong.

I'd never hunt myself because it doesn't sound like fun to me at all. My family likes to hunt for deer though and I don't really have a problem with it. Especially since we eat it after. Now, if you're just going around killing things for the sake of it, I don't know...

The problem is that there's a gun culture is the US, its not something that can be changed overnight. I'm in favor of gun control everywhere but weapons will get to the wrong hands even if they're banned, there's a pretty big black market of illegal weapons in many countries and these weapons occasionally end up in the hands of criminals, thus it explains the high crime rates in some places. In places like mine, gun ownership per capita is actually pretty low but then again we have a very high homicide rate, how is this possible you ask? well there's smuggling problems and a black market for weapons, even if guns were banned some people would still get their hands on them. What must be done everywhere is to inspect those illegal traders and regulate gun sales in armories, that way things could somewhat be less violent on the streets. But again, there will always be people who make their own weapons and that can't be stopped easily.

Well yeah, if you're using the animal for food, then I think that's fine.

I'm not sure about the hunters you know but the people in our area always talk about how they can't wait to turn their game into food... I thought this was the usual thing. :P

I'm not sure about the hunters you know but the people in our area always talk about how they can't wait to turn their game into food... I thought this was the usual thing. :P

A family we're close with is moving to Montana next year (they're big hunters) and they hunt for sport. It's not totally uncommon; have you seen this before?

1280px-Alces_alces_elan_trophee_chateau_

It also is legal in the United States. There was a bill called the Cecil Bill (coming out of the outrage over the killing of Cecil the Lion lmao) that began in the House of Representatives in July... not sure what happened to it, I think it died in committee. 

Anyway, it's still a common practice among traditionalists and people in rural parts of America. It's supposed to display one's "skill and character" with the bigger the animal you kill. That's what I'm against. 

Edited by tvguy

A family we're close with is moving to Montana next year (they're big hunters) and they hunt for sport. It's not totally uncommon; have you seen this before?

1280px-Alces_alces_elan_trophee_chateau_

It also is legal in the United States. There was a bill called the Cecil Bill (coming out of the outrage over the killing of Cecil the Lion lmao) that began in the House of Representatives in July... not sure what happened to it, I think it died in committee. 

Anyway, it's still a common practice among traditionalists and people in rural parts of America. It's supposed to display one's "skill and character" with the bigger the animal you kill. That's what I'm against. 

Ugh people still do that? I don't see that commonly but if I do the rest of the meat is used for food.

The original purpse of hunting is for food..... I don't know why people kill just for the hell of it.

Unfortunately, there are too many gun-happy, paranoid, stubborn Americans out there that there's probably nothing that will change the way guns are regulated. Every single time it's the same cycle. Even when it's children. People in America have made shooting children the price one has to pay for their insane gun regulations. What can you do after that?