• Advertisement

What is your opinion on gun control?

TheBigOcean

Oh my god. Gun control is something that seriously needs to happen. I feel that everyone who's against it isn't getting the point. "Taking away guns is not the solution". It's not taking away guns, it's just making sure murderers don't get them. All I think is that there should be a background check so evil or mentally I'll people don't use them to kill people, and people like hunters can get them. That's all. I don't understand how that's a bad thing.

I do believe some type of regulation is necessary. Yes I know SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS RARR DON'T TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHTS but yeah, the point isn't to take away guns completely, but be more careful, y'know?

• Like 5

My bare-bones opinion is that there needs to be heavy regulation, but we don't deserve to be denied weapons completely. Considering the depressingly high amount of shootings happening, it's mindblowing that nothing's happened yet regarding gun laws.

Gun control as it stands now is a joke.

How many more innocent lives need to be lost before anyone decides it's time to enforce regulations? Seriously, it's sickening. 

I don't care if it makes people angry. We NEED gun control. More importantly, we need to monitor who exactly we're allowing access to these guns to.

• Like 8

I don't want to deny anyone their constitutional right to bare arms, but as so many others have said before me, our gun control laws right now need serious revising.  It's sad that the multiple news stories we get every year about there being a mass shooting all resolve in people talking about revision to gun control laws and nothing gets done about it.  How about actually monitoring who we decide to give a weapon to before permitting them a weapon carrying permit?  Absolutely ridiculous we haven't done anything serious about this yet.

• Like 4

I've come with the feeling that some people in particular are trying to address the symptoms of the problem rather than the root causes. Gun control was never something I had a strong opinion on either way, but I think the police system needs to be looked at too if we're ever going to solve this problem. They are still able to use guns themselves but there are issues pertaining to police brutality and there's also what's been going on economically that I think ties into the issue too.

• Like 1

I've come with the feeling that some people in particular are trying to address the symptoms of the problem rather than the root causes. Gun control was never something I had a strong opinion on either way, but I think the police system needs to be looked at too if we're ever going to solve this problem. They are still able to use guns themselves but there are issues pertaining to police brutality and there's also what's been going on economically that I think ties into the issue too.

I agree, not only are school shootings a problem, public shooting and police brutality have also sparked protests about Gun Control, especially when the Police Brutality is     directed at a single race, it brings public attention to a cause that people joke about, and frankly are assholes about it.

I do think we need to restrict the mentally ill from acquiring guns and maybe have stricter regulations on who gets guns. I'd also support outlawing more dangerous firearms, but to be fair there will be people who smuggle in guns anyways.

guns don't kill people, people kill people. 

Yeah. You know how people kill people?

With guns.

No one's waltzing into a movie theater or a school with a bow and a quiver of arrows slung over their back or a pocket full of medium-sized rocks. How many deaths involving guns could've been avoided by removing guns from the situation? Would they still happen with a different weapon or would people who want to harm other people suddenly not have such an effective way to, you know, harm other people? If they happened with a different weapon, what would that be? A knife? Because those are readily available too. I can get on a bus and be at a Bed Bath and Beyond in 10 minutes and have a whole wall of knives to choose from.

Guns aren't going off on their own but the person behind the gun would definitely rather be holding a gun than anything else.

Yeah. You know how people kill people?

With guns.

No one's waltzing into a movie theater or a school with a bow and a quiver of arrows slung over their back or a pocket full of medium-sized rocks. How many deaths involving guns could've been avoided by removing guns from the situation? Would they still happen with a different weapon or would people who want to harm other people suddenly not have such an effective way to, you know, harm other people? If they happened with a different weapon, what would that be? A knife? Because those are readily available too. I can get on a bus and be at a Bed Bath and Beyond in 10 minutes and have a whole wall of knives to choose from.

Guns aren't going off on their own but the person behind the gun would definitely rather be holding a gun than anything else.

But isn't that still people killing people? Yes. It doesn't matter what the person's weapon of choice cause it'll always amount to people killing other people.

But isn't that still people killing people? Yes. It doesn't matter what the person's weapon of choice cause it'll always amount to people killing other people.

But guns are unarguably the easiest way to do it all. If we made it much harder to get guns, it would be significantly tougher for stuff like this to happen. People don't want to learn how to shoot an arrow, they want the easiest way possible. If we remove the easiest way, it's going to happen less.

Yes you can turn anything into a weapon, but if people wanted to kill people so badly then we'd be hearing about all the different ways people in other countries are killing people. But since we aren't, we can (probably) assume that no one is turning things into weapons because when you remove guns from the situation people have to actually think and meditate on how they're going to take a life and they'll (hopefully) realize they don't want to do it that badly. And, if they do want to do it that badly, then if they don't have access to a gun it's going to be a lot harder to actually do anything.

• Like 1

But guns are unarguably the easiest way to do it all. If we made it much harder to get guns, it would be significantly tougher for stuff like this to happen. People don't want to learn how to shoot an arrow, they want the easiest way possible. If we remove the easiest way, it's going to happen less.

While I do agree that it should be harder to get a gun, I'm not sure about "removing the easy one" since human beings CAN adapt and eventually something else becomes "the easy one". Before you know it, spoons get outlawed because too many lunatics scooped other people's eyes out. Yeah there should probably be more restrictions on guns, however it won't eliminate the main problem that is human beings.

Edited by illiniguy34

While I do agree that it should be harder to get a gun, I'm not sure about "removing the easy one" since human beings CAN adapt and eventually something else becomes "the easy one". Before you know it, spoons get outlawed because too many lunatics scooped other people's eyes out. Yeah there should probably be more restrictions on guns, however it won't eliminate the problem that is human beings.

Nice straw man argument but yeah, no... 

Y'know, I'm going to be blunt and say I just outright don't believe in the right to bear arms. I'm cool with people hunting, my family hunts. The guns should be under lock and key in a safe place in a fucking hunting lodge or something for when people want to hunt. Maybe owning guns was necessary at the time of the second amendment, I'll accept that. Now, I just don't get it. I don't understand why people romanticize literal killing machines.

But whatever. Clearly if fucking children being massacred in Sandy Hook didn't cause any meaningful change, we're doomed.

• Like 2