• Advertisement

Legitimate thoughts about the love/hate for Frozen

Clappy

So we got into a discussion on the XAT a few minutes ago that I legit want to know the answer to.  Maybe it's because I'm blinded by my love for Frozen.  It's still one of my favorite movies of 2013.

I want to know, in a calm and civil manner, the hate for Frozen.  Because a majority of the time, from my time on internet forums to seeing the flame wars in YT comment sections, the hate for Frozen appears to be in backlash to it's fanbase treating it like it's the best thing ever.  I may love the movie, but I don't find it the best thing ever.  I do agree that the extremists who think that can be annoying, but let me stop for a minute.

Does that mean the movie itself is bad?  Does that mean the songs themselves are terrible?  Because I feel the hate that does steam from this comes from the fact that Frozen became a worldwide phenomenon.  I have never really seen that many valid reasons to hate on the movie itself.  It does have it's minor flaws in my opinion, but I still find it to be a damn good movie regardless of them.

The Frozen hate is almost as bad as the Minion hate.  I want to know what you guys think about the extreme reactions to Frozen's popularity.  Is it unwarranted?

And if you hate the movie Frozen itself, I want to know why.  For my personal reason because I've seen way too many one sentence responses on the internet that don't even explain why it's allegedly terrible.  And please do this calmly....I don't want this topic to turn into Frozen 2. *cringes*

• Like 1

The number one reason why a lot of people hate frozen is because they find it overrated. To which I must say: Just because it's overrated doesn't mean it's bad, it's got more praise than it deserve, sure, BUT how in god's name does that affect the movie's quality?! How most of the internet cannot tell the difference between overrated and bad really infuriates me.

• Like 1

The hate for Frozen is pretty easy to piece together. People keep having to hear "Let It Go", about the movie's international success, merchandise everywhere, etc. So, a lot of them having never seen them, the outside communication revolving around it bugs them, so they automatically link it to Frozen being a bad movie.

Personally, I think Frozen is...it's okay. I find it good for a watch, but I guess I set my expectations way too high or something because....you know, it's not the best movie of all time, for me.

• Like 1

The day I watched it indeedly affects how I perceive the movie. It was a wintry, November day and I had watched the movie with some of my favorite frozen yogurt in the Ithaca area, right after eating some delicious lobster and going on a splendid winter hike. I tend to enjoy things a lot more when I discover them during a generally happy time of life.

It's just like, not very good lol

I don't love it. It's okay. Certainly not bad. Definitely competently written, and the animation is beautiful (it's Disney). But like, that's it. The twist was nicely done. The songs were good. I love "Summer". Characters are good too. It's just an average run-of-the-mill Disney princess movie and it's not even better than PatF or Tangled, imo. Great themes, morals, whatever, it hits all the notes that a good Disney film should and is funny, and nothing more. 

I just don't really care about it. It's there. I'm not the only person with these thoughts. However, when something that people thinks is average becomes elevated to cultural phenomenon status and becomes the highest grossing animated film of all time, people are going to get mad, and although that's kind of silly, it's understandable. 

S'not unwarranted. I hate the word, but I do genuinely think that Frozen is overrated. Where were all these people when Tangled, or Wreck It Ralph came out, with better stories and writing? ...and arguably animation. It's just kind of annoying, although to detract from the film's quality to make an argument would be wrong.

Its (just barely) an 8/10 movie that's become a staple of a company and a country. People are going to have a problem with that and I think it's at least reasonable for that problem to exist in people's minds. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed Frozen but I wouldn't call it the best movie of all time or even one of the best Disney films of all time. I do think Princess and the Frog and Tangled are better.

I think a lot of people consider it overrated (ah the dreaded "O" word) and are not sure how it got so popular and some are probably annoyed with all the merchandise. I am amazed at just how many things Disney can slap with Frozen's likeness on them but in the end it doesn't bother me that much. :P 

• Like 2

It's just like, not very good lol

I don't love it. It's okay. Certainly not bad. Definitely competently written, and the animation is beautiful (it's Disney). But like, that's it. The twist was nicely done. The songs were good. I love "Summer". Characters are good too. It's just an average run-of-the-mill Disney princess movie and it's not even better than PatF or Tangled, imo. Great themes, morals, whatever, it hits all the notes that a good Disney film should and is funny, and nothing more. 

I just don't really care about it. It's there. I'm not the only person with these thoughts. However, when something that people thinks is average becomes elevated to cultural phenomenon status and becomes the highest grossing animated film of all time, people are going to get mad, and although that's kind of silly, it's understandable. 

S'not unwarranted. I hate the word, but I do genuinely think that Frozen is overrated. Where were all these people when Tangled, or Wreck It Ralph came out, with better stories and writing? ...and arguably animation. It's just kind of annoying, although to detract from the film's quality to make an argument would be wrong.

Its (just barely) an 8/10 movie that's become a staple of a company and a country. People are going to have a problem with that and I think it's at least reasonable for that problem to exist in people's minds. 

Perfect explanation of my thoughts

I think more people liked it because it was slightly more progressive than past Disney movies? 

but then you make the point about Tangled so idk lol doesn't the prince still rescue her in that movie

Also, Mulan and Lilo and Stitch were both more progressive and better movies, so I can see why people hailing Frozen as this beacon of feminism while disregarding these past movies (that honestly did a lot of what Frozen did better) could get under people's skin.

People are allowed to dislike whatever but people hating Frozen because of hype, merchandise and mentions makes no sense. Yes, we can get tired of seeing same thing over and over but that doesn't change movie at all. Plus Mickey Mouse, SpongeBob, Looney Tunes, Star Wars, Simpsons are profitable but people still enjoy watching them so much.

I haven't seen much of Disney movies but I loved Frozen for what It was. It had really great songs, good story, good characters and wonderful animation. The twist was well-done too. However Wreck-It Ralph, The Lion King and The Hunchback are far more well-written movies than Frozen imo.

Edited by WhoBob

Call it weird that I'm reviving this thread now, but that 21 minute Frozen short that got shown before Coco pretty much refueled the backlash that people have made towards Frozen back in 2014/2015. The short, or otherwise as it should be known as, the 21 minute made-for-TV special, was a controversial marketing ploy because it was too long for anyone to handle, but I think I found myself the answer as to why certain people can't stand Frozen since I've noticed that backlash: Most people are just so sick of Frozen that they can't help but loathe it. To give you guys the bigger picture here, I believe most of the people who are vocal about their hate towards Frozen has to do with the other side of the spectrum that just loves the movie to death. The crowd who can't stand Frozen thought that the movie was never really all that spectacular as the film's biggest fans say it is, and those particular people feel that the other crowd puts the movie on a pedestal so much to the point that it further ruins the experience for them. So, of course people will tend to hate the film because of the over-obsession at the time. That's not to say that most of the non-fans don't have a reasonable expression of reasons why they hated the film, because from what I've seen, the criticisms for Frozen vary. I've seen people say that they hated Frozen because they didn't like the songs. People will either say that they thought they weren't anything special or very standard from the likes of Disney, or that they thought the majority of the soundtrack wasn't very memorable, or they got sick of hearing the songs whenever or wherever, and this especially a given since complaints about the overexposure of "Let It Go" were very common. I've seen people criticize Frozen because they thought a lot of story elements that they felt either didn't make sense ("How did Elsa get her powers???" "Why didn't Kristoff recognize Anna if he witnessed her being healed by the trolls???" "Why couldn't Elsa just tell her sister why she's been shutting people out all the time???" etc.) or raised some questions that they felt could've been acknowledged. ("What happened to Kristoff's parents???" "Why didn't Anna and Elsa fall apart mentally during their childhood isolation???" etc.) I've seen people criticize the film for its characters, like some people say Hans was a weak villain, or a poorly-written one at that, or that the trolls were incredibly forgettable and pointless characters, and most of all, there are a lot of people who find Olaf an annoying sidekick designed for kid and marketing appeal. There's a few more I could add, like there's the kind of people who hate Frozen based on their hatred of Disney as a company, as they're often known for making a lot money and all that jazz, but point is, I think overexposure and over-obsession can be an excuse in the case of non-fans trying to point out towards people of the other spectrum that Frozen is not that brilliant of a movie that they say it is while citing their own reasons for hating the film as from what they've experienced from watching it. When it comes to people who claim that they hate the film because of the overexposure/over-obessesion without having seen it, however...that's just the kind of people I would ignore. I mean whether or not a non-fan has a reasonable expression of reasons as to when he/she says he/she hated the film, I think the general consensus for any kind of non-fan is that they're just so sick of the heavy marketing, the incredibly high praise, and Disney's heavy reliance with Frozen in general, with a sequel being on the way, and especially the bit about a 21 minute Frozen short being shown before Coco both being a given. Does this make sense?

Edited by Cousin Mel

7 minutes ago, Cousin Mel said:

I've seen people criticize the film for its characters, like some people say Hans was a weak villain, or a poorly-written one at that, or that the trolls were incredibly forgettable and pointless characters, and most of all, there are a lot of people who find Olaf an annoying sidekick designed for kid and marketing appeal

Lol, yeah I think that's exactly what he was. I loved the film, but didn't care for Olaf. And that one song solo he had was the worst song of the movie. 

2 hours ago, Cousin Mel said:

Call it weird that I'm reviving this thread now, but that 21 minute Frozen short that got shown before Coco pretty much refueled the backlash that people have made towards Frozen back in 2014/2015. The short, or otherwise as it should be known as, the 21 minute made-for-TV special, was a controversial marketing ploy because it was too long for anyone to handle, but I think I found myself the answer as to why certain people can't stand Frozen since I've noticed that backlash: Most people are just so sick of Frozen that they can't help but loathe it. To give you guys the bigger picture here, I believe most of the people who are vocal about their hate towards Frozen has to do with the other side of the spectrum that just loves the movie to death. The crowd who can't stand Frozen thought that the movie was never really all that spectacular as the film's biggest fans say it is, and those particular people feel that the other crowd puts the movie on a pedestal so much to the point that it further ruins the experience for them. So, of course people will tend to hate the film because of the over-obsession at the time. That's not to say that most of the non-fans don't have a reasonable expression of reasons why they hated the film, because from what I've seen, the criticisms for Frozen vary. I've seen people say that they hated Frozen because they didn't like the songs. People will either say that they thought they weren't anything special or very standard from the likes of Disney, or that they thought the majority of the soundtrack wasn't very memorable, or they got sick of hearing the songs whenever or wherever, and this especially a given since complaints about the overexposure of "Let It Go" were very common. I've seen people criticize Frozen because they thought a lot of story elements that they felt either didn't make sense ("How did Elsa get her powers???" "Why didn't Kristoff recognize Anna if he witnessed her being healed by the trolls???" "Why couldn't Elsa just tell her sister why she's been shutting people out all the time???" etc.) or raised some questions that they felt could've been acknowledged. ("What happened to Kristoff's parents???" "Why didn't Anna and Elsa fall apart mentally during their childhood isolation???" etc.) I've seen people criticize the film for its characters, like some people say Hans was a weak villain, or a poorly-written one at that, or that the trolls were incredibly forgettable and pointless characters, and most of all, there are a lot of people who find Olaf an annoying sidekick designed for kid and marketing appeal. There's a few more I could add, like there's the kind of people who hate Frozen based on their hatred of Disney as a company, as they're often known for making a lot money and all that jazz, but point is, I think overexposure and over-obsession can be an excuse in the case of non-fans trying to point out towards people of the other spectrum that Frozen is not that brilliant of a movie that they say it is while citing their own reasons for hating the film as from what they've experienced from watching it. When it comes to people who claim that they hate the film because of the overexposure/over-obessesion without having seen it, however...that's just the kind of people I would ignore. I mean whether or not a non-fan has a reasonable expression of reasons as to when he/she says he/she hated the film, I think the general consensus for any kind of non-fan is that they're just so sick of the heavy marketing, the incredibly high praise, and Disney's heavy reliance with Frozen in general, with a sequel being on the way, and especially the bit about a 21 minute Frozen short being shown before Coco both being a given. Does this make sense?

dude please use line breaks this wall of text hurts my brain

frozen is a beautiful looking movie with great music that is unfortunately crushingly boring otherwise

none of these characters are memorable, they serve either to push the story forward or as lame character archetypes that we've seen a billion times on end. i also don't like how this movie is heralded as this huge beacon of progressiveness from Disney when movies like Lilo & Stitch with WAY better explored themes AND characters get pushed aside and forgotten

• Like 3