• Advertisement

SpongeCraft Information

spongecraft.png.a46f4f08b3bdb389acccca3610bce967.png

Current release: 11 | Current version: 1.12.2

Welcome to the SpongeCraft info thread! SpongeCraft is SBC's exclusive version of Minecraft used for forum events and fun! Never heard of Minecraft? Click here to learn more about it!

Download the SpongeCraft Launcher

Already own Minecraft and want to play with the official client? Click here for instructions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler

My antivirus is blocking SpongeCraft.

Please see this post for more details.

How do I play this on Linux?

Click here for instructions.

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Reinstall Java. This is a problem with Java, not SpongeCraft.

Why can't I spawn mobs, place and use TNT, and/or change my skin?

You have to be a Loyal Customer to do the following. Unfortunately, this is because we have seen this privileges abused in the past.

You can become a Loyal Customer by purchasing access to the group through the Doubloon Store. Doubloons can be earned by posting on the forum, or by mining in the Doubloon Mine in SpongeCraft. Doubloons are SBC's currency and is completely free and does not require real money!

What mode does SpongeCraft play in?

We play on a creative server! Certain abilities however can only be gained by purchasing access to the group through the Doubloon Store. Doubloons can be earned by posting on the forum, or by mining in the Doubloon Mine in SpongeCraft. Doubloons are SBC's currency and is completely free and does not require real money. Loyal Customers have the ability to change their skins, spawn mobs, and more.

Do I need a copy of Minecraft to play?

No. While you can play on our server with normal Minecraft (click on instructions link above if you would like to), you do not need a copy to play. Click on one of the download links above to get started.

Will SpongeCraft mess up my current Minecraft install?

Nope. SpongeCraft is self-contained and will not interfere with your Minecraft install. If you would prefer to use your Minecraft install instead of downloading SpongeCraft, click here for instructions.

What are going to do on SpongeCraft?

We will be doing a large range of stuff with SpongeCraft! Sometimes there are events, games, and even tournaments. If you haven't already, request to be a part of a team here, so that you can participate in some of our events.

What are optional mods?

Mods are modifications to the game that changes how the game looks, plays, or feels. The ones provided through SpongeCraft are safe for you to use!

What is OP?

OP is short for "operator'". Operators help run SpongeCraft by helping to develop the server, maintain the server, and do events.

Are there any extra features I can get?

There sure are! Just visit the Doubloon Store.

How do I join a team?

Click here for more information.

How do I become a Loyal Customer?

You can become a Loyal Customer by purchasing access to the group through the Doubloon Store. Doubloons can be earned by posting on the forum, or by mining in the Doubloon Mine in SpongeCraft. Doubloons are SBC's currency and is completely free and does not require real money. Loyal Customers have the ability to change their skins, spawn mobs, and more.

How do I change my in-game player skin as an LC?

Only Loyal Customers can change their skin on SpongeCraft. If you aren't yet, see the previous question. If you are a Loyal Customer, go to the Skin Change Room in the directory to change your skin. As always, users who purchased Minecraft are able to change their skin through Mojang's official website.

There is a glitch/bug! How do I report it?

Please report it here. It's the best way for us to see it. :)

What systems does SpongeCraft support?

Windows XP and up!

macOS 10.5 and up!

Linux distributions (via .jar file)!

windows.pngmac.pngjava.png

Want to learn more about SC? Click here!

Ok, i tried to download it but Avast detects it as a virus, stops Opera from downloading it and blocks it. i don't know how to unblock it.

I solved the problem and reported it to Avast as a False Positive along with the file and the Download URL

Edited by DigitalDistraction
Fixed my own issue in 5 minutes

Ok, i tried to download it but Avast detects it as a virus, stops Opera from downloading it and blocks it. i don't know how to unblock it.

This always happens on Windows. This is so common, in fact, that EA Games has its own help article about this problem.

SpongeCraft is 100% safe. I designed it from the ground up. If your antivirus is blocking it, try this:

1. Disable or turn off your antivirus temporarily.
  2. Download and install SpongeCraft.
  3. Within your antivirus program, add the following path to your whitelist or exclusion list (in your case, go to Avast settings, and it should be under General -> Exclusions) :
    %appdata%\SpongeCraft\*
  4. Enable or turn on your antivirus.
  5. Start SpongeCraft.

If you run into any other problems, try disabling the antivirus first. If this still doesn't work, let me know. :)

Guest hilaryfan80
I tried running it on Ubuntu but it won't give me an option to launch it. The previous client had a terminal launcher which made playing the game easier, I tried searching for it but I couldn't find it. Been playing it on 1.8 until someone can help.

Use this in the terminal (cd into the directory first):

java -jar Linux.jar

Guest hilaryfan80

Still doesn't work, it doesn't give me a way to open it. I keep getting "couldn't find package java".

I can't seem to play it on MC neither, it says timed out each time I try clicking on the server name.

Same here

Next time that happens, PM me. I get PMs on my phone. :) The server crashed, that's all.

For Linux installs, try the following:

1. Open up Terminal.
  2. Place the .jar file in your Documents folder.
  3. Type in the following commands, hitting enter after each line:
    cd ~/Documents
    chmod +x Linux.jar
    java -jar Linux.jar

This should open up SpongeCraft. If you would like to make a shortcut that can type these commands and start up SpongeCraft for you, do the following:

1. Make sure the Linux.jar file is in your Documents folder.

2. Type in the following command:

nano spongecraft.sh
  3. Enter these three lines in the prompt given:

#/bin/bash
    java -jar ~/Documents/Linux.jar
    exit
  4. Press Ctrl+O on your keyboard to save, then Ctrl+X.

5. Now type in the following command:

chmod +x spongecraft.sh
  6. Exit out of Terminal, and navigate to the .sh file you just created. Right-click it, then go to Properties.

7. Click on the Permissions tab, then make sure "Allow executing file as program" is checked.

This should get SpongeCraft working on Linux operating systems. If you have Ubuntu, and want it in your launcher, you can do the following:

1. Do the steps above to create spongecraft.sh
  2. Open Terminal and type in the following commands, hitting enter after each line:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel --no-install-recommends
    gnome-desktop-item-edit ~ --create-new

3. Fill in the information. For Command, make sure you point it at the .sh file you created.
  4. Voila!

KVaYOEN.png

???

Open the launcher. Right-click "SpongeCraft" at the top left corner, like so:

Yu6UKL5.png

and click "Delete files." Then try to launch again and see if that works. :)

Open the launcher. Right-click "SpongeCraft" at the top left corner, like so:

Yu6UKL5.png

and click "Delete files." Then try to launch again and see if that works. :)

Still doesn't seem to work. :/

I need to know if you have Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Mac.

Guest hilaryfan80

Still doesn't seem to work. :/

Mac.

Hm, this seems to be an issue with some Macs. I'll tell you what. Download the Linux one (yes, download that copy). Create a "SpongeCraft" folder on your desktop and put your newly-downloaded "Linux.jar" inside of that folder. Open Linux.jar (don't forget that you may have to use Control+Click) and you should be able to get on. :)

Hm, this seems to be an issue with some Macs. I'll tell you what. Download the Linux one (yes, download that copy). Create a "SpongeCraft" folder on your desktop and put your newly-downloaded "Linux.jar" inside of that folder. Open Linux.jar (don't forget that you may have to use Control+Click) and you should be able to get on. :)

It worked! Thank you so much! :D

Guest hilaryfan80

Though, Windows XP is discontinued to be used for SpongeCraft. However, i jave other computer that has Windows 7.

so Do i have to use SC on Windows 7 instead?

We still have a Windows XP installer, so no, you can still use it on your Windows XP computer. :)