• Advertisement

David Bowie, Aerosmith, Flaming Lips Pen Songs for 'SpongeBob Musical'

Nosferatu!

I sure did pick the right week to do my SpongeBob Musical digging, because... 

You can now purchase official SpongeBob Musical merchandise over at their online store:plankton2:

Note that there are a few items that were sold in Chicago that (currently) aren't on their site, but nothing major.

BREAKING NEWS!

Nickelodeon and Masterworks Broadway have announced that that Broadway-bound The SpongeBob Musical will record its original cast album August 8-11, following a successful run at Broadway in Chicago’s Oriental Theater!

“We are incredibly excited to capture this show with this cast right after our run in Chicago this summer,” said co-conceiver and director Tina Landau and orchestrator, arranger and music supervisor Tom Kitt. “We look forward to releasing the album when this cast brings The SpongeBob Musical to Broadway.”

The SpongeBob Musical cast album will feature Ethan Slater as SpongeBob SquarePants, Gavin Lee as Squidward, Nick Blaemire as Plankton, Lilli Cooper as Sandy Cheeks, Carlos Lopez as Mr. Krabs, Danny Skinner as Patrick, Gaelen Gilliland, Juliane Godfrey, Curtis Holbrook, Stephanie Hsu, Jesse JP Johnson, L’ogan J’ones, Emmy Raver-Lampman, Mark Ledbetter, Kelvin Moon Loh, Lauralyn McClelland, Vasthy Mompoint, JC Schuster, Allysa Shorte, Jacob Smith, Abby C. Smith, Jason Michael Snow, and Allan K. Washington.

The album will capture the original score which features songs by Yolanda Adams, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith, Sara Bareilles, Jonathan Coulton, Alex Ebert of Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, The Flaming Lips, John Legend, Lady Antebellum,Cyndi Lauper, Panic! At the Disco, Plain White T’s, They Might Be Giants and T.I., and a song by David Bowie with additional lyrics by Jonathan Coulton.

I'm ready! :plankton2: 

I thought this musical was really good. The actors were so good, I could easily see them as the actual characters. I really liked Plankton and Karen's portrayal as a scheming couple, and Squidward's solo. The songs were really good too, I even liked Patchy's pirate song as well. Though I could've done without the parts with the Sardines forming a Patrick cult. It kinda seemed pointless. But the parts on the volcano was pretty exciting. I hope I can one day see the show live.

• Like 1