• Advertisement

David Bowie, Aerosmith, Flaming Lips Pen Songs for 'SpongeBob Musical'

Nosferatu!

13 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/25/spongebob-broadway-musical-cast

The plot has been revealed: Apparently, a volcano erupts near Bikini Bottom and SpongeBob takes it upon himself to save the city and his friends.

Don't be like Sponge-Cano at least

Sounds great, and the songs further interest me then and I hope they aren't cheesy. Best of luck to all in it! :D

sponge-bob.jpg

Official poster for The SpongeBob Musical

As was previously noted, Broadway newcomer Ethan Slater has been cast as the absorbent, yellow, porous protagonist of The SpongeBob Musical. Slater will be joined alongside Lilli Cooper, who will be portraying Texan squirrel Sandy Cheeks. Playwright Kyle Jarrow was brought aboard to craft the story: 

The SpongeBob Musical follows a day in the fictional underwater town of Bikini Bottom, where the citizens have just learned that a nearby volcano named Mount Humongous will erupt at sundown the next day. Amid the antics and fantasies of the community over the ensuing 24 hours, SpongeBob takes it upon himself to save the day and rescue his city from certain destruction. 

Additional casting has been revealed, which is as follows: Gavin Lee as Squidward Tentacles, Nick Blaemire as Plankton, and Danny Skinner as Patrick Star. It is unknown who will portray the other characters slated for the musical at this time.

From EW: The decision to keep the characters human and not opt for puppetlike conceits (seen in similar toon-to-Tony adaptations like The Little Mermaid or The Lion King, both from competitor Disney) was a creative decision network-approved and kid-tested. “We brought in different age groups and were most worried they were going to say, ‘But he’s not square!’” she recalls of previewing SpongeBob’s human concept to the core audience. “The main response was, ‘We finally got to see him in real life.’ They loved it. They felt they were getting to spend time with him in his authentic form.”

The SpongeBob Musical begins its world premiere performances on June 7th at Broadway in Chicago’s Oriental Theatre. From there, the limited engagement runs through July 3rd, 2016, and a Broadway run is thereafter expected in the 2016-17 season.

I will continue to keep you all up to date as soon as more information is released. :) I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS!!!

FIRST LISTEN: The SpongeBob Musical previews a new song

At a recent Chicago event, Tom Higgenson of The Plain White T's and cast member Ethan Slater (who will be portraying SpongeBob) performed the original song "BFF" from The SpongeBob Musical.

From Theater Mania: Nickelodeon's stage adaptation of its popular animated television series will features original songs contributed by The Plain White T's as well as other artists including Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith, Jonathan Coulton, and more, with an additional song by David Bowie, and additional lyrics by Coulton.

I. LOVE. THIS SONG. This musical just keeps getting better and better, it seems. I can't wait. :wub: 

Edited by Mermaid Magic

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.playbill.com%2F

It seems as though the complete casting list for The SpongeBob Musical is here!

From Playbill:

The show had previously cast a virtual unknown, Ethan Slater, in the title role of the "absorbent and yellow and porous" character from the hit Nickelodeon cartoon series. Newly added among the principals: Carlos Lopez will play Spongebob's penny-pinching boss, Mr. Krabs.

Lilli Cooper will play SpongeBob’s close friend Sandy Cheeks. Danny Skinner will make his Broadway debut as SpongeBob's dimwitted starfish pal Patrick. Gavin Lee will play the sourpuss squid Squidward, and Nick Blaemire will play the scheming villain Plankton.

Other denizens of Bikini Bottom will be played by Gaelen Gilliland, Curtis Holbrook, Juliane Godfrey, Stephanie Hsu, Jesse JP Johnson, L’ogan J’ones, Emmy Raver-Lampman, Mark Ledbetter, Kelvin Moon Loh, Lauralyn McClelland, Vasthy Mompoint, JC Schuster, Allysa Shorte, Jacob Smith, Abby C. Smith, Jason Michael Snow and Allan K. Washington.

Book writer Kyle Jarrow tells Playbill, "I know this sounds insane, but it's basically SpongeBob Apocalypse. If you can imagine the movie 'Armageddon' with SpongeBob as like the main character, essentially saving the world, that is… It's not about an asteroid, but other than that it's basically SpongeBob has to save the world from certain destruction." He also adds, "SpongeBob is super fun. It's obviously family-friendly; it's got like a hipster humor to it as well, but I think there's an opportunity to say something that actually matters about the way that we live now and about the way that fear can make people make decisions that are maybe not the smartest decisions."

On 1/25/2016 at 6:42 PM, NegiSpongie said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/25/spongebob-broadway-musical-cast

The plot has been revealed: Apparently, a volcano erupts near Bikini Bottom and SpongeBob takes it upon himself to save the city and his friends.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/spongebob/images/1/12/Sponge-Cano!.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110523084941

bob-3-a_0.jpg?itok=GTXzuU81

bob-4-a_0.jpg

bob-1-a_0.jpg

bob-2-a.jpg

Here are some exclusive first-looks of The SpongeBob Musical cast in costume (via Entertainment Weekly)!

I'm going to see this for myself tomorrow... I can't wait! :) 

EDIT: Pictures seem to broken for the time being, so please click here for working photos.

Edited by Timebomb
  • Like 2

I have a soft spot for musicals and this does look like fun! If only I lived in or near Chicago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Katniss

I thought I'd share some pictures I took at the show on Saturday! :) 

tumblr_o8mzxs2dNs1u0f08eo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8mzxs2dNs1u0f08eo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8mzxs2dNs1u0f08eo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8mzxs2dNs1u0f08eo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8mzxs2dNs1u0f08eo5_1280.jpg

Let me just say, though: the pictures hardly do it justice. This is something you have to see for yourself to believe. I can't even describe what I felt being there. But it was magical. 

I can't wait to go back on the 25th. I implore you all to go see it if you have the chance. You will not regret it. :D 

• Like 3

So I decided to do a little digging and came across something pretty exciting...

According to New York City Theatre, The SpongeBob Musical is scheduled to open on Broadway on November 16th, 2016:rock:

Following its well-recieved run in Chicago this year, the inhabitants of Bikini Bottom are headed to Broadway this fall! Co-concieved and directed by Steppenwolf Theatre’s Tina Landau, an impressively starry roll call of musical artists have contributed to the score, including the late David Bowie, and The Flaming Lips and Cyndi Lauper! Join Spongebob, Patrick the Starfish and Squidward on a brand-new adventure for the stage, perfectly made for kids and adults alike!

It’s important to note that the site also states that official dates are yet to be confirmed, but I’ll be sure to keep checking back periodically for them. :)