• Advertisement

192a. Company Picnic

Jinjo

Rating?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of this episode?

• 5/5 Stars: This was the greatest company picnic EVER!
    • 4/5 Stars: We learned a little something about each other, and ourselves...
    • 3/5 Stars: That's not how you spell company picnic!
    • 2/5 Stars: My loyal employees would never be taken in by such a shallow display!
    • 1/5 Stars: Sounds to me like you're just wasting me precious ingredients!

I really didn't like this one. Nothing really happened and while the premise was promising it just didn't deliver to what it could have been. The hologram twist ending was lame and felt like it was thrown in there last minute because the writers couldn't think of a better ending. I will say the drawings and facial expressions in this episode were pretty good, but as usual it wasn't enough to save the episode. The episode overall wasn't outlandishly bad, but it was pretty dull and stale.

I'll give it a 4/10. Not quite mediocre, but not quite the badness level of other episodes this season either.

I haven't really been discussing these episodes, because, well, nothing's really to be said. The animation's great and all, it feels all bubbly and colorful as it should, but beyond that they were just, forgettable. All this episode felt like was the occasional laugh padded down with repurposed plots and jokes we've seen before, too much effort in consistency and overall slow pacing mixed with a pinch f Growing Around and shit. Weak, I know, but that's what this episode is. Pure apathy, also know as the definition of a 5/10.

I dunno about you guys but I really liked this one. Nothing like fantastic or anything but like this was just a fun 11 minutes, and l laughed a lot, and considering this show has had trouble with that in the past, that's all I can really ask for nowadays

Da Good

-Goes without saying, but the art is fire. Great expressions and everything moves so fluidly and well. Dunno if it's Ceccarelli with the animatics, Cohen with the boards, a renewed sense of talent with these new artists, or a combo of that stuff, but for the first time since halfway through Season 5, this show is just fun to look at again. Possibly moreso than any other time in the run barring Season 4 tbh. It's like we're getting the first movie caliber animation on the small screen

-The little scenario SpongeBob made with those patty people Was amusing.

-"At this point it would ketchuping up the water."

-The return of Plankton's little eye telescope was nice

-Change of setting was great. Felt like the first time we've really seen Jellyfish Fields in a while, and it looked glorious in HD

-"Simmy and Tally

-Barnacle Boy gag was great, the sting of music that played during it was wonderful

-Molted Krabs from Shell of a Man returns!

-That slow motion bit was A1. I was actually dying while that was happening. Clever.

-"THE GREATEST COMPANY PICNIC EVER"

Da Bad

-Random bouts of unfunny Squidward pain here that felt reminiscent of a time l thought was behind us. The eye gag in particular was bad.

-The music can really, REALLY change how an episode feels. I've been a big supporter of the original Hawaiian tracks the composers have crafted since Season 4, but the new APM they use (whatever track was playing while Mr. Krabs and SB were talking at the start, for example) is really annoying. It's intrusive and boring to an irritating level and I wish that that scene had either been music-free or had an older track playing. Music is probably the only thing holding this new era back.

Aside from that, I can't honestly think of anything. It was another Plankton plot, to a degree, but even he didn't feel shoehorned in or pathetic. I was fine with the hologram twist, and it didn't feel lazy to me. perhaps I'm just so happy with the improvement of everything in regards to character and design that a mediocre episode is elevated because everything is finally, finally back to normal (or as normal as it can be) on a level of consistency. I don't have to watch an episode in fear that there'll be some sadist sequence, or wait to be constantly disappointed by missed opportunities with characters, or jokes, or suffer through horrendously stiff, cold dead, and mechanical animation. The plot could've used a little work, but it's a 9A plot, so I'll cut it some slack. Unless Brookshier and Ceccarelli had written this, I doubt it would've turned out as well, and considering how badly those two handled Squidward, it still might not have been that great. I'd say I'm very happy with how this one turned out.

just fix that damned music a we'll be on the right track

8.5/10 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I dunno about you guys but I really liked this one. Nothing like fantastic or anything but like this was just a fun 11 minutes, and l laughed a lot, and considering this show has had trouble with that in the past, that's all I can really ask for nowadays

Da Good

-Goes without saying, but the art is fire. Great expressions and everything moves so fluidly and well. Dunno if it's Ceccarelli with the animatics, Cohen with the boards, a renewed sense of talent with these new artists, or a combo of that stuff, but for the first time since halfway through Season 5, this show is just fun to look at again. Possibly moreso than any other time in the run barring Season 4 tbh. It's like we're getting the first movie caliber animation on the small screen

-The little scenario SpongeBob made with those patty people Was amusing.

-"At this point it would ketchuping up the water."

-The return of Plankton's little eye telescope was nice

-Change of setting was great. Felt like the first time we've really seen Jellyfish Fields in a while, and it looked glorious in HD

-"Simmy and Tally

-Barnacle Boy gag was great, the sting of music that played during it was wonderful

-Molted Krabs from Shell of a Man returns!

-That slow motion bit was A1. I was actually dying while that was happening. Clever.

-"THE GREATEST COMPANY PICNIC EVER"

Da Bad

-Random bouts of unfunny Squidward pain here that felt reminiscent of a time l thought was behind us. The eye gag in particular was bad.

-The music can really, REALLY change how an episode feels. I've been a big supporter of the original Hawaiian tracks the composers have crafted since Season 4, but the new APM they use (whatever track was playing while Mr. Krabs and SB were talking at the start, for example) is really annoying. It's intrusive and boring to an irritating level and I wish that that scene had either been music-free or had an older track playing. Music is probably the only thing holding this new era back.

Aside from that, I can't honestly think of anything. It was another Plankton plot, to a degree, but even he didn't feel shoehorned in or pathetic. I was fine with the hologram twist, and it didn't feel lazy to me. perhaps I'm just so happy with the improvement of everything in regards to character and design that a mediocre episode is elevated because everything is finally, finally back to normal (or as normal as it can be) on a level of consistency. I don't have to watch an episode in fear that there'll be some sadist sequence, or wait to be constantly disappointed by missed opportunities with characters, or jokes, or suffer through horrendously stiff, cold dead, and mechanical animation. The plot could've used a little work, but it's a 9A plot, so I'll cut it some slack. Unless Brookshier and Ceccarelli had written this, I doubt it would've turned out as well, and considering how badly those two handled Squidward, it still might not have been that great. I'd say I'm very happy with how this one turned out.

just fix that damned music a we'll be on the right track

8.5/10 

Agreed 100%

Tbh I think this is one of the better episodes from season 9.2. From patty role playing to slow-motion, A lof scenes made me laugh out loud. The twist, while nothing new, it was still a good gag. A lot of facial expressions were so humurous, especially "THE GREATEST COMPANY PICNIC EVER" at the end. It's definetly not amazing, Squidward got hurt here and there and the ep  slow at some points but this is the season 9.2 episode that made me laugh hardest. So it gets a high grade from me, an "A-"

• Confused 1

I think everybody on SBM already knows this, but this is my ALL TIME favorite episode. The reason why is because it's an overall fun episode, I love everything about it, from the funny faces in the episode to the ways the characters react, I really loved how Squidward was really upbeat and a fun character in this episode because I really like to see him happy, and also SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs and Plankton were all likable in this episode. The plot is very creative and I was excited about this episode ever since it was mentioned back in 2014, I have to admit though, I had trouble choosing this episode over it's sister episode "Pull Up a Barrel" as my overall favorite because both are great episodes! Overall I would give this episode a predictable 10/10! This episode really was "The greatest company picnic ever!"! 

192a%20-%20Company%20Picnic%20(637).jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Confused 1
  • God Himself 2

On 7/31/2016 at 1:13 AM, Invincibubble said:

I think everybody on SBM already knows this, but this is my ALL TIME favorite episode. The reason why is because it's an overall fun episode, I love everything about it, from the funny faces in the episode to the ways the characters react, I really loved how Squidward was really upbeat and a fun character in this episode because I really like to see him happy, and also SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs and Plankton were all likable in this episode. The plot is very creative and I was excited about this episode ever since it was mentioned back in 2014, I have to admit though, I had trouble choosing this episode over it's sister episode "Pull Up a Barrel" as my overall favorite because both are great episodes! Overall I would give this episode a predictable 10/10! This episode really was "The greatest company picnic ever!"! 

192a%20-%20Company%20Picnic%20(637).jpg

6zQjdHU.gif

Edited by MLG Vanilluxe