12. Iron Man 2
  13. The Avengers
  14. Thor Ragnarok
  15. Incredible Hulk
  16. Avengers Age of Ultron
  17. Thor The Dark World
  18. Thor

Infinity War is at #3 or #4 I need some time to let it sit with me

And since the first three phases are completed, time to bump this once more.  Especially since I rewatched the MCU in its entirety so my fiance could better understand the series of events that took place over the last eleven years.

1. Avengers: Endgame

2. Captain America: Civil War

3. Avengers: Infinity War

4. The Avengers

5. Iron Man

6. Black Panther

7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

8. Thor: Ragnarok

9. Guardians of the Galaxy

10. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

11. Ant-Man

12. Spider-Man: Far From Home

13. Spider-Man: Homecoming

14. Doctor Strange

15. Iron Man 3

16. Thor

17. Captain America: The First Avenger

18. Ant-Man and The Wasp

19. Avengers: Age of Ultron

20. Captain Marvel

21. Thor: The Dark World

22. The Incredible Hulk

23. Iron Man 2

UPDATED THOUGHTS:

-Endgame is seriously everything I could have ever wanted for a proper finale for the Infinity saga.  I love it to pieces and I'll be in absolute shock if Kevin Feige ever manages to top Endgame in terms of a penultimate superhero movie that this was.

-Civil War may not have the top spot anymore but I still love how it incorporates that being a superhero results in consequences for better and for worse.

-Infinity War I absolutely adore as well.  I can't picture this movie being made any other way despite openly admitting that there are some glaring out of character flaws that take place.

-Biggest rise on this list for me is the placement of Guardians 2.  Rewatching this on one of my work trips really made me come around on it even more (and then rewatching again not too long after with my fiance).  Is it better than the first?  No.  But the massive strides it took in character development really made this a great movie to rewatch multiple times.  Plus with all signs pointing to Phase 4 heading towards a more galactic focus, it makes sense why we got so many end credits scenes laying the foundation of future MCU movies.

-Far From Home is better than Homecoming.  It balanced the high school based storylines and the aspects of being a superhero better than Homecoming did.  It just did a better job of investing me in and the action scenes are better as well.  I don't love what they did with Mysterio outside of one scene that was admittedly fucking awesome.  Despite Jake Gyllenhaal doing an awesome job (its Jake Gyllenhall, of course he will do awesome with whats given), Michael Keaton's Vulture was just an overall better developed character.  The movie also got annoying how they masked plot points that didn't make sense with comedy.   Still, Far From Home was the better of the two movies, but its very fitting that I feel like they are placed right next to each other because its more or less the same sort of movie.  The third movie they are teasing though with that mid credits scene I can't fucking wait for.

-It feels like Iron Man 3 is always falling down the list every update.  It just goes to show how much it has started to sour on me, even though I still like it.

-I stand by my thoughts on Ant-Man and The Wasp being the perfect comedy break I needed with the main storyline of the Infinity saga.  But after rewatching this a few weeks ago, I just don't think its as good of a movie on its own.  I still like this too, but man did they dumb down Scott Lang or what?  At least Endgame rectified Scott's character from being a total dumbass like they did here.

-Age of Ultron got better after rewatching it for the first time in three years, but I still stand with everything I said about it being pretty much inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.  But hey at least it did contribute something in showing that someone was worthy all this time. ?

-Captain Marvel, I've shared my thoughts on.  Go find it in its respective thread.  Not ready to give up on this character yet because she will practically be a major staple from here on out.  Hopefully they make major strides in making her more interesting and compelling.  And Brie Larson is able to make the character her own.

-Those bottom three are basically going to be engraved to the bottom until Marvel makes another movie that mediocre (Thor 2, Incredible Hulk) or bad (Iron Man 2) again.

Now that phase 3 is over...

Excellent:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Avengers: Infinity War

Avengers: Endgame

Black Panther

Avengers

Thor Ragnarok

Iron Man

Great:

Captain America: Civil War

Guardians of the Galaxy

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Captain America: The First Avenger

Iron Man 3

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Good:

Ant-Man

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Thor

Decent:

Doctor Strange

Captain Marvel

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Avengers: Age of Ultron

The Incredible Hulk

Meh:

Thor: The Dark World

Iron Man 2

- To me Infinity War was a better movie than Endgame but Endgame has the best cinematic experience I have ever had. So shrug.

- Winter Soldier still the best thing MCU has ever done besides Agents of SHIELD.

- The Incredible Hulk is still a decent-ish movie for me. First two arcs were very superb only to be cucked by its god awful third act but the conclusion was good enough. I definitely agree it's not as memorable as most of MCU movies but I enjoyed how it had a somber and more serious tone like how a Hulk movie should be. I doubt they'll do another Hulk movie since Universal doesn't seem to understand the opporunity in this and I'd like to see more Hulk material adapted like the recent The Immortal Hulk but we shall see. This was as decent enough of a Hulk movie, even if it could have been much better.

- I'm not as into Ant-Man and the Wasp as I wished to be. It's a fun popcorn flick but its story didn't wow me as Ant-Man and the comedy didn't always hit the home for me. Not the mention Scott Lang was used more as a comedic relief than having an arc of his own this time.

- Captain Marvel's still a good movie but it doesn't have enough of its style or its voice and I didn't exactly like we spent most of the movie with amnesiac Carol. Regardles, I'm hyped for the future of this character and hopefully Monica as Spectrum/second Captain Marvel, we shall see.

- Far From Home is just ballsy fun. It's so much better than Homecoming in many ways with better written characters, more intensity with action scenes and some heartbreaking scenes. Mysterio's arc was as unique as it should have been but at the same time, that's also a loose of his comic backstory, so I can't truly blame and Jake Gyleenhaal stole the show, he was badass and snarky, I loved him. Oh and Mid-credit scene was an excellent set up for the third movie of MCU spidey.

phase 3 ended up being the best portion of MCU with three not-so great but decent flicks imo. Keep up the good work!

On 7/6/2019 at 8:25 AM, Clappy said:

Age of Ultron got better after rewatching it for the first time in three years, but I still stand with everything I said about it being pretty much inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.  But hey at least it did contribute something in showing that someone was worthy all this time. ?

how is Ultron inconsequential 

I’m still not like a giant fan but the movie is literally only bad because it’s actual story couldn’t breathe through all the elements for Phase 3 movies it was establishing plots for. Phase 3 has almost retroactively redeemed it, seeing as how it directly affects 6 of the biggest films of the next phase. Opposite of inconsequential. 

Anyway new ranking:

1. Captain America: Civil War 

2. Avengers: Endgame

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

4. Thor: Ragnarok

5. The Avengers 

6. Iron Man 

7. Avengers:  Infinity War

8. Guardians of the Galaxy

9. Black Panther

10. Spider-Man: Far From Home 

11. Iron Man 3 

12. Guardians Vol. 2 

13. Captain America: The First Avenger 

14. Avengers: Age of Ultron

15. Captain Marvel 

16. Ant-Man 

17. Doctor Strange 

18. Ant-Man and the Wasp 

19. Spider-Man: Homecoming 

20. Iron Man 2 

21. Thor

22. Thor: The Dark World

- at 18 is really where it bottoms out - everything from 18 and above I still really enjoy, and even Homecoming and IM 2 aren’t terrible films by any stretch.

-Still never seen Hulk. Don’t really ever plan on it unless I’m bored one day. 

- was shocked when ranking at how high Captain Marvel was and how low Homecoming was for me.

-Ultron, while still a whole 2 plus hours of missed opportunities, still has a lot going for it, and was ultimately retroactively justified since it directly sets up so much Phase 3 content. The payoff really makes it feel worth it. 

-Endgame made Dark World actually interesting and somewhat good in the context of that film but that shit still trash on its own lmao don’t even remember the name of the villain 

- Far From Home knocked it out of the park when it comes to following up Homecoming and the Avengers films. Coming from someone who hasn’t been a huge fan of what they’ve done with Peter in the MCU (“hey guys I’m a hero but I’m young and have no idea what I’m doing haha let’s make some jokes about how young and naive I am by referencing an “old” film I’ve never seen haha lol!!” is only funny or novel so many times. We get it), FFH was a giant step in the right direction. That shit slapped. 

• Wow 1

21 hours ago, Young Nug said:

how is Ultron inconsequential 

I’m still not like a giant fan but the movie is literally only bad because it’s actual story couldn’t breathe through all the elements for Phase 3 movies it was establishing plots for. Phase 3 has almost retroactively redeemed it, seeing as how it directly affects 6 of the biggest films of the next phase. Opposite of inconsequential. 

Probably should have worded that better.  My bad.

What I meant was that all it did was set up the events of Phase 3 instead of trying to focus on its own movie.  Making it the most disposable (yeah disposable is a better word than inconsequential) Avengers movie, since my image of an Avengers movie is an event like the OG movie, Infinity War, and Endgame.  Age of Ultron did not feel like that.  It could have set up everything it set up for future Marvel movies while still being an event movie like anything with The Avengers tagline should be.  Instead, we got what we got and you’re right; even I’ve warmed up to it a bit because of everything that happened in Phase 3.  That being said, it’s still a major missed opportunity.