• Advertisement

Hurricane Katrina: A 5th Anniversary

SG19

Yep, it's been that long since the Gulf Coast was struck by one of the worst environmental tragedies in United States history. It reshaped New Orleans in more ways than one. Coincidentally, my mother was hospitalized with a "mild" (the obstruction was at one of of the small branches extending from an artery at the base of her heart) myocardial infarction (heart attack) that same day. The affected areas have recuperated (recovered) for the most part, but some division will be left intact because construction is basically too expensive. I want to ask y'all....where did you first hear about Katrina and how did it impact you emotionally? My 7th grade mathematics teacher had the television turned on to CNN News, where they were presenting reports about the hurricane. TBH, I didn't provide much thought to Katrina at first. After all, the Atlantic Basin season was flourishing that year. Then, I discovered how catastrophic this tropical system was and it sort of left me grieving especially since New Orleans was a piece of my mother's childhood (even though she lived outside city limits). BTW, my apologies for not establishing this topic on Sunday. I somehow could never find the time until this point.

A few pictures I'd like to share:

121674-004-A09AF087.jpg

IMG_1953-slidell-destruction-mr4

ap_bush_katrina_591.jpg

I can't believe that you can have a city as great and vibrant as New Orleans, and it can all get destroyed with a hurricane. Definitely a tragedy.

^ Exactly

It's pretty sad to see that people's lives can just get ripped away from them because of this. And the people who did survive suffered. Pretty much a living hell.

^ Exactly

It's pretty sad to see that people's lives can just get ripped away from them because of this. And the people who did survive suffered. Pretty much a living hell.

I know, it pains me just thinking about it. Mortality sucks. 305752.gif