• Advertisement

The Writer's Lounge

Ron

4 hours ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

I'm sorry to intrude, but would anyone like to help me with my upcoming lit, Power Rangers: Multiverse Force? I'd appreciate it!

I'm willing to help out; I just need to know about the heroes, the villains, and a little bit about the characters first. You can PM me the information to me when you have the time.

OK! :D

10 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

I'm willing to help out; I just need to know about the heroes, the villains, and a little bit about the characters first. You can PM me the information to me when you have the time.

I sent you a PM.

Once Paranoia premieres, guest write spots are indeed open. However, each episode will (to some degree) have a formula, as seen here. This is not so much a set template, but more of a series of suggestions that have INFINITE and darkly comical possibilities:

-The mission: What kind of mission will Friend Computer send the troubleshooters on? This is (theoretically) the main plot of the episode, but given how the troubleshooters are a bunch of backstabbing ambitious lunatics, the mission will likely not go as planned. 

-The equipment: What kind of equipment from Alpha Complex's R&D department will the troubleshooters receive? Equipment generally falls into three categories: useless, dangerous, or both. Whatever instructions exist for the equipment don't exist yet, or are above the group's security clearances. In any case, the troubleshooters have no idea what to do and must figure out how to use the equipment themselves...which, combined with their insane ambitions, usually results in a LOT of death. Thankfully, however, everyone has clones so death is just a minor inconvenience. 

-Secret societies: In the world of Paranoia, secret societies are EVERYWHERE, and everyone is a member of one or more. The troubleshooters are no exception, and the side-missions they go on for their societies generally form the main incentives for backstabbing each other. After the mission briefing and retrieval of equipment, each of the troubleshooters are given an assignment by their secret society, which ties into the main plot of the episode and as such forms a subplot. These side-missions generally range from theft to outright murder. And sometimes the main mission will focus on the secret societies, making things more complicated.

-Obstacles: What obstacles will the troubleshooters face on their mission (aside from each other, of course)? Obstacles can range from Friend Computer's "help" (which is useless/contradictory/nonsensical), the bureaucracy/security clearances, to Alpha Complex itself. 

-The debriefing: When the mission is all said and done, the episode ends, right? NOPE. Every mission has a debriefing, and the ones the troubleshooters go on are no exception. Here's the catch, though: the debriefings are THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THE MISSION. No one is safe from accusations of treason (and ANYTHING can be considered treason), so debriefings are crucial if any of the troubleshooters want one last chance to betray each other. Aside from backstabs, debriefings also include commendations, rewards, summary executions, etc. from Friend Computer. 

And that's all she wrote, folks. So, if anyone wants to guest write for Paranoia, PM me and we can discuss it.

i'm interested in posting a live-action spongebob spin-off i'm making (using plush toys) on this site, but would the spin-off/lit forum be the right place for it? my series is structured in an episodic format like regular spin-offs, but this forum seems to host purely written material, whereas visual spongebob-related stuff goes in the arts forum.

i plan on posting each new episode as i make them by just embedding them from the series' youtube channel. (of course i'll have to wait until video embeds are fixed before i can do that lol)

28 minutes ago, William Leonard said:

i'm interested in posting a live-action spongebob spin-off i'm making (using plush toys) on this site, but would the spin-off/lit forum be the right place for it? my series is structured in an episodic format like regular spin-offs, but this forum seems to host purely written material, whereas visual spongebob-related stuff goes in the arts forum.

i plan on posting each new episode as i make them by just embedding them from the series' youtube channel. (of course i'll have to wait until video embeds are fixed before i can do that lol)

We have allowed video spin-offs before (like JCM's cancelled Clam & Gary, and hilaryfan80's SBC Guy), so you can post it in this forum. :) 

• Happy 1

9 minutes ago, Wendy the Witch said:

Anyone want to take over my lit as I shift gears to focus on school? I've asked Renegade and Clappy, and they declined, but I still want someone to temporarily write for me for now. School's more of a priority, you know.

I'm not sure many people would be willing/have the time to take over writing a story. Perhaps you should just give it a break for now until you have more free time to work on it.

Edited by Katniss

I guess I can say you can do whatever you want with your series. I've put my works on hiatus numerous times and I'm still going through my longest break in-between writing new episodes (besides the occasional Rebirth of a Storm), and like I've said numerous times before, I'm trying to change that.

Since you're talking about making a decision about what to do with your lit, I might as well talk about a decision I've made when I cancelled one of my spin-offs (Z-Storm) because I thought continuing it wouldn't compensate for the sucky episodes I've made years back and I had a newer vision for that series, and so I thought I would make the decision to reinvent that story I didn't get to finish and brand it as a newer spin-off.

Can't really insert a yes or no in your debate since this is your very own lit that you're talking about. If you return to that particular series and you feel very satisfied, I say it's worth continuing. If you return and if you're not satisfied with what you'll eventually write, I'd think about making the different decision.

• Like 1

Sorry to bump an old-ish thread, but I have some spinoff ideas and I’d like to hear your thoughts on them! Hopefully I’ll be able to use both of them, but I’d like to know which idea should be my main focus :)

Idea One: A SpongeBob SquarePants blooper reel/behind the scenes thing, as if the characters were just acting the whole time. Have you ever seen those bloopers Pixar made for some of their animated movies? Something like that.

I’m thinking of organizing episodes so that each one lines up with the episodes of the actual show. For example, the first episode would be bloopers of Help Wanted/Reef Blower/Tea at the Treedome. Season 1 would be all the Season 1 episodes of the show, movies for this spin-off would be bloopers of the movies, so on and so forth. 

I don’t really have any ideas for a title yet, aside from something generic like SpongeBob Bloopers/Behind the Scenes. Ideas would be appreciated! 

Idea Two: Rewriting SpongeBob episodes that I feel could’ve been done differently. This can go from just cleaning up a few parts that weren’t very good to totally overhauling the episode for a new take on its main ideas. I’m gonna try and make them more like the latter, since I’m not really sure if this would be plagiarism but I still like the idea. 

Unlike the other idea, I’m not sure how I’ll divide episodes into seasons yet, since I’ll generally just be skipping around writing episodes that grab my attention. I’ll think about that later once I know I can dedicate enough time to it. I might be open to suggestions and co-writers if anyone has ideas for an episode, but if/when I get the show on the road I do want to focus on my own ideas first! 

I have a title already, Rewritten. I’ll admit it’s also pretty generic, but I think a more straightforward title works for this kind of show. Not to mention I’ve had this idea with this title for a bit longer and almost went through with it before, so it’s kind of grown on me. 

So, there you have it! Input would be appreciated, and if you guys have any tips on how spinoffs work here (it seems like you have a whole system lol) I’m open to those as well! 

Edited by Frankie Doodle
Grammar
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Frankie Doodle said:

Sorry to bump an old-ish thread, but I have some spinoff ideas and I’d like to hear your thoughts on them! Hopefully I’ll be able to use both of them, but I’d like to know which idea should be my main focus :)

Idea One: A SpongeBob SquarePants blooper reel/behind the scenes thing, as if the characters were just acting the whole time. Have you ever seen those bloopers Pixar made for some of their animated movies? Something like that.

I’m thinking of organizing episodes so that each one lines up with the episodes of the actual show. For example, the first episode would be bloopers of Help Wanted/Reef Blower/Tea at the Treedome. Season 1 would be all the Season 1 episodes of the show, movies for this spin-off would be bloopers of the movies, so on and so forth. 

I don’t really have any ideas for a title yet, aside from something generic like SpongeBob Bloopers/Behind the Scenes. Ideas would be appreciated! 

Idea Two: Rewriting SpongeBob episodes that I feel could’ve been done differently. This can go from just cleaning up a few parts that weren’t very good to totally overhauling the episode for a new take on its main ideas. I’m gonna try and make them more like the latter, since I’m not really sure if this would be plagiarism but I still like the idea. 

Unlike the other idea, I’m not sure how I’ll divide episodes into seasons yet, since I’ll generally just be skipping around writing episodes that grab my attention. I’ll think about that later once I know I can dedicate enough time to it. I might be open to suggestions and co-writers if anyone has ideas for an episode, but if/when I get the show on the road I do want to focus on my own ideas first! 

I have a title already, Rewritten. I’ll admit it’s also pretty generic, but I think a more straightforward title works for this kind of show. Not to mention I’ve had this idea with this title for a bit longer and almost went through with it before, so it’s kind of grown on me. 

So, there you have it! Input would be appreciated, and if you guys have any tips on how spinoffs work (it seems like you have a whole system lol) here I’m open to those as well! 

I like both ideas, but I especially see something interesting in the latter which could lead to some interesting episode interpretations and different takes.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Davy Jones said:

I like both ideas, but I especially see something interesting in the latter which could lead to some interesting episode interpretations and different takes.

True, and thank you! I should mention that while I’ll consider doing some of the really infamous episodes (One Coarse Meal, Are You Happy Now?, A Pal for Gary, etc.), I predict the majority will be episodes that could’ve been really good if it wasn’t for just that one thing, or they had a good concept executed badly. So, hopefully there’ll be a lot of variety and new concepts!

I was considering making another "Variety" thread of sorts for me to dump my ideas and scrap, both old and new, that's popped up in my noggin throughout the years, but I thought why not just dump some of em here in hopes of breathing some more life into this thread. I'll only be posting ideas that I'm most confident in actually writing, nothing pertaining to stuff I've already posted in the past or anything I'd consider to be scrap.

Idea #1: This one has been in my head since The Killer Krab's heyday. In fact, this was a time when I had this crazy ass idea for an anthology series of sorts based on the different name suggestions that SpongeBob listed out in Bossy Boots (structured kinda like how American Horror Story operates, in a way). The Killer Krab is pretty self-explanatory haha. It's also why I originally intended for The Killer Krab to be a miniseries, but then I got too ambitious and tried to make another season of it which didn't make it past the first episode or two. I had a rough idea for what I wanted "The King Krab", "The Kowboy Krab" and "The Khaotic Krab" to be like. King Krab was gonna be a mix of Soul Calibur and Castle Crashers with a Dunces & Dragon paint job, while I think I ended up more or less converting The Kowboy Krab into The Pest of the West episode of Skodwarde and The Khaotic Krab idea spun off into something different and bigger elsewhere in my mind. Which I shall elaborate even further upon.

It'd pretty much be a SpongeBob meets Mad Max hybrid. I remember coming across screenshots for this Mad Max-inspired SpongeBob flash game called "MadBob WarriorPants" around the time (the model of SpongeBob in this game being the basis for the BadBob CoolPants picture I had Cha make for me back then), which led to me lookinup gameplay videos and I thought it looked pretty slick then. It inspired me enough to wanna make my own SpongeBob version of Mad Max. But I had a pretty hard time trying to come up with the reason why the SpongeBob world would be all post-apocalyptic. I originally figured that, "hey, they're near Bikini Atoll, the place where nuclear tests took place! That could be pretty set-up!" but the timing felt off since that was like years ago and it's probably why they're already talking and sentient in the first place. I wanted the reason to be something that people could see happening in the show's universe, yet still be ridiculous enough for the show's standards. So I shelved this idea and some of the things that I did come up with would eventually find their way into S(lums)BU.

Then Sponge Out of Water hit theaters in 2015 and it had a whole section of the movie dedicated to being a Mad Max parody. I was pretty bummed when that section got cut short just to segue into the live action/superhero bs, so I thought of making The Khaotic Krab a more fleshed out version of that setup. 

Plankton would still steal the formula himself, but instead of using it for his own restaurant, he would just disappear with it. Without a trace. They would later find the Chum Bucket to be abandoned and discover that Karen has been shut down. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs would be forced to rely on their memory to continue making Krabby Patties, but one too many wrong orders eventually causes the people to go mad. Society completely breaks down shortly thereafter and the Krabby Patty secret formula would forever remain lost to the sands of time. I figured having SpongeBob and Krabs forgetting the formula similarly to how SpongeBob forgot it in Pickles made slightly more sense than straight up making them sound dumb af. In the post-apocalyptic wasteland, what's left of Bikini Bottom is on it's last legs when it comes to enforcing some sort of order. SpongeBob has since been recruited into the fledgling police department as a member of its "Recovery Squad", headed up by former police chief Al Priss. With hostile forces being a constant presence, leaving chaos in their wake, SpongeBob finds himself slowly being pushed down a path that he calls Violence Road.

Describing it just now has hyped me up about continuing with the idea again. I might just end up doing that. Eventually.

Idea #2: Okay, so that last one was "Khaotic Krab", consider this one to be "The Kreepy Krab". At the time, this was probably my most fleshed out anthology idea behind Killer Krab. The gist of this one is that Mr. Krabs is running a ghost hunting business with a tweest! SpongeBob, Patrick and sometimes Squidward join him in his escapades (cuz how could they not) and it eventually leads into them investigating a major haunting that's taking place in the Krusty Krab itself, but they soon discover that this particular spirit is a ghost from their past, back to finish what he started years ago. And things only go from bad to worse when the authorities grow wise to their business and get themselves involved. Oooohhhh creeeeepyyyyy! I have the ending all mapped out at least. This idea is inspired somewhat by The Ghostbusters, but mostly by The Frighteners.

Idea #3: This idea has been bouncing around me head for like the last year or two. I call it, "Patrick! the Game: the series"! It's meant to parody the likes of Beyblade, Yugioh etc. The basic gist for the planned first season is that SpongeBob works his way to becoming one of, if not, the best Patrick! the Game players in his neighborhood. His reign on top is threatened by a gang of rogue players led by his self-proclaimed superior. When a regional Patrick! the Game tournament is announce to be held in the city, SpongeBob enters in order to officially stake his claim as the cream of the crop. But the competition is shaping up to be his fiercest challengers yet, which includes the likes of a foreign champion as well as the games's original creator himself. It plays up and sets the "rules" of the game established in the actual episode up to 11, with some anime-inspired wackiness to go along with that.

Idea #4: This one is probably the most recent of my spinoff ideas. I played a bunch of Call of Cthulhu and watched a bunch of old Lovecraft-inspired movies back in like October, which got me back into reading some of HP Lovecraft's work and it inspired me to come up with a parody of the Cthulhu mythos revolving Skodwarde's very own Pathulu. I guess technically it could be considered a Skodwarde spinoff, considering how big of a role Pathulu played in that, but it won't be connected at all story-wise with the squid nazi. It'll be its own standalone thing, if anything. It's still very much rough around the edges, but I seem pretty set on casting Squid Noir Squidward as the main protagonist. Whether I follow up more on this one outside of a potential pilot depends on feedback, I guess. Doubt it'll come anywhere close to Skodwarde's heights, but it seems pretty poetic for Pathulu to have his own spinoff after Clappy and I scrapped the collab one that we planned on doing together all those years ago.

Of course, most of these are far from being sure things. If you follow Deathmatch, you know just how much my, I guess, eagerness to write fluctuates from month to month lol plus I wanna finish up Deathmatch and Break A Leg before dedicating myself to something new on here. I wanna write at least one more thing that evokes the same feeling in me that I had back when I started writing stuff like Skodwarde, Post Fiction 2011, Killer Krab and Community Deathmatch (2013-early 2015 Deathmatch, to be specific). But until then, I might make posting these ideas here a bi-weekly thing, perhaps monthly. I've had a lot crazy shit run through my head throughout the years, might as well let em out here somewhere.

• Like 1

So I was gonna wait until I finished it, but screw it, I'mma just post what I have thus far for Supreme: The Ivory Icon's first episode to gauge some feedback.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Majesty?

“This is an imaginary story...but aren’t they all?” 

-Alan Moore, opening narration of Superman #423

“...city of gold...need to get to the city of gold…”

“Ethan, darling, wake up.” a soft, musical voice whispered in the darkness. Immediately, Ethan Crane bolted upright, breathing heavily and fumbling for the bedside lamp. With a sort of one-two-three twisting motion, he switched it on, the amber light illuminating the room. The bedroom was painted a dark blue, decorated with various pictures of the happy couple and a few paintings such as The Starry Night. Draped beneath the grey bedsheets, Ethan blinked his bright, ocean blue eyes a couple of times before turning to look at his wife. Emily Crane was a beautiful fair-skinned brunette thirtysomething; she and Ethan had married young yet the spark had never faded from their relationship. “You were talking in your sleep again.” she said, running a hand through his short platinum blonde locks. Ethan looked down at her other hand awkwardly, trying to find the right words as he subconsciously intertwined his fingers with hers.

“I’ve been doing that a lot lately, haven’t I?” he asked after what seemed like an incredibly long time, although in truth it was more like 30 seconds. Emily gave a small nod.

“You have, yes.” she replied. “It's rather concerning, if I’m honest.” Ethan considered his wife’s words: recurring dreams weren’t usually a problem, especially not vivid ones like he’d been having - the actual problem, he’d found, was that he couldn’t remember who he was...well, not entirely - of course, he knew he was Ethan Crane; 30 years old, married to one Emily Crane (nee Bonham) and a freelance artist who worked at local comic shop Dazzle Comics. He was 6’2”, weighing around 260 pounds; considering all that was pure muscle and taking his height into account, he had an incredibly intimidating figure, and was fair-skinned.

It was just everything else outside of that he couldn’t remember; not his birthday, where he’d grown up, when he’d gotten married...nothing. As far as Ethan was concerned, he was a near-complete amnesiac. He hadn’t told Emily any of this, however, since worrying her into a mental breakdown was the last thing he wanted. His thoughts were interrupted by Emily sharply whistling and snapping her fingers in front of him. “Yoo-hoo, Ethan?” she semi-playfully called.

“Oh, hmm?” came the response.

Emily was frowning a bit at him now, and giving her patented Look. Ethan hated when she gave him the Look - that meant she was REALLY concerned now. “Are you sure you’re alright?” she asked him. “Because I think you really should talk about this.”

Ethan looked deep into her eyes, wondering if she should know. Mulling his next words carefully, he answered plainly: “I...don’t know who I really am.” he admitted. “M-metaphorically, I mean.” he quickly amended.

Emily’s gaze softened, and she tilted her head in an almost quizzical manner. “Oh?” she asked. “Is this a...quarter-life crisis of some kind?”

“Yes!” Ethan nodded, inwardly breathing a sigh of relief. You have no idea just how right you are, Em, he thought. “It’s probably stress from work. You know, having to deal with whiny kids and all that.”

“I see.” Emily replied. “Well, I hope all this can be over soon.” She gave her husband a peck on the cheek before lying back down.

“I’ll probably make a therapist appointment tomorrow.” Ethan said before turning the lamp back off. “Good night, Emily.” The only response Ethan got was silence followed by soft, and frankly adorable snoring. Ethan chuckled, gently kissing his wife on the forehead before going back to sleep himself. His dreams, however, were no less troubled than they had been before: visions of a white void, a floating golden city, and thousands of people that looked like him, all dressed in a white and red uniform. He hadn’t known how long he’d had these dreams - months, years? Time was an utterly irrelevant illusion, it seemed. And it absolutely terrified Ethan.