• Advertisement

The Writer's Lounge

Ron

Okay, as for my spin-off writing ability, here's a noticable weakness in mind that I need advice on:

Choppy sentences. Most of the time when I'm writing one of my many works, my sentences appear too short. Ever wonder why UWS is usually like this? Because I don't have the skill to vividly describe a scene or a character's actions before/after a piece of dialogue would be the answer. I can see people writing stuff like he licked his lips thoroughly and- see how horrible that was? Nobody actually wrote that, but that's my example when comes to "my lack of skill of giving more detail to a scene." I'm working on improving this for Pisces Moon as well as for my future installments such as Trinity Leaf Pegasus, Rift and Drift and Oracle of the Cosmos. So yeah, my main problem is how I'm telling more than showing. If you have some advice behind avoiding "choppy sentences," let me know.

Double post, I know.

It kinda looks like spin-offs are 'dying' again, as I should confirm myself as of this posting. Some of you guys would probably beg to differ, so I'll say it's also otherwise a decline. I can't think of a way to bring more interest to this art form, but I'd like to see some talk on this. 

Double post, I know.

It kinda looks like spin-offs are 'dying' again, as I should confirm myself as of this posting. Some of you guys would probably beg to differ, so I'll say it's also otherwise a decline. I can't think of a way to bring more interest to this art form, but I'd like to see some talk on this. 

I totally agree that spin-offs are in a serious rut atm. The SpongeBoard is enough proof of that. I really don't know what could be done that wasn't already done in the past, but talking about it is a good start.

Well, what's there to talk about? You want spin-offs to be read? Read spin-offs. You want spin-offs to be made? Make 'em.

Though I will agree that bringing back this thread in general is a good idea. It serves as a great forum for new spin-off ideas.

• Like 3

Well, what's there to talk about? You want spin-offs to be read? Read spin-offs. You want spin-offs to be made? Make 'em.

Though I will agree that bringing back this thread in general is a good idea. It serves as a great forum for new spin-off ideas.

eh..tbh Wumbol, i don't really have any ideas to plan to come up for my SO/Lit so i sorta ran out of it..

even though if I tried making new ome, it might get worse & worse by writing.

i admit that i did pretty badily at writing (SECC & ATTWL 3), but it just doesn't work if i tried doing it.

sorry if my post aren't understandable to anyone reading this.

Wumbo is right.

People. Instead of complaining about the death of spinoffs, why not actually read other peoples works instead of just your own? Because only whining about spinoffs dying and not doing anything about it will lead to the self-prophecy that spin-offs and lits are dead.

• Like 1

Wumbo does have a point. My point is, if you don't want spin-offs to rot and you want to see their ratings climb up, click on them. If you want people to read your spin-off, beats me, but you could at least to force people into them or try to promote 'em as strongly as possible. Spin-offs are more than just our Riffing Theaters and Skodwardes. I don't usually care if people don't read my spin-offs outside of UWS, but I can tell by the lack of views that not everybody is agitated enough into reading my other stuff.

I could make another spin-off to tally up the number of spin-offs currently for showcase, but I don't want to get too busy. In the meantime, I'll think of what I can do to function the activity of spin-offs again.

Speaking of Steel's spin-offs, I'm considering doing my old spinoff Spin-off Action except with SBCers. The only problem is I don't want to make it seem too much like UWS. Maybe if I made it more like The Amazing Race? I dunno. Something I've been pondering since it's been in the back of my mind and distracts me from writing my other SBC fanfic ATTWL: The Final Chapter.

Speaking of Steel's spin-offs, I'm considering doing my old spinoff Spin-off Action except with SBCers. The only problem is I don't want to make it seem too much like UWS. Maybe if I made it more like The Amazing Race? I dunno. Something I've been pondering since it's been in the back of my mind and distracts me from writing my other SBC fanfic ATTWL: The Final Chapter.

http://www.thesbcommunity.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2202-the-amazing-race-sbc-style-bitches/?hl=%2Bamazing+%2Brace

Excuse me for showing off 2011 Clappy, but...

You were until you scrapped it.

I do think that part of the problem is the lack of response to spin-off episodes. If you liked an episode of a spin-off, consider commenting rather than simply liking the post. Say what you liked about it, talk about the plot, the characters, etc. Even if you didn't like it, say so and say why! Give constructive feedback. It all comes down to effort, both from writers and readers. Discussion pays off for both parties.

• Like 4

http://www.thesbcommunity.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2202-the-amazing-race-sbc-style-bitches/?hl=%2Bamazing+%2Brace

Excuse me for showing off 2011 Clappy, but...

You were until you scrapped it.

Either way, I'm actually leaning more towards bringing back Spin-off Action instead with SBC users this time instead of spin-off characters.

I do think that part of the problem is the lack of response to spin-off episodes. If you liked an episode of a spin-off, consider commenting rather than simply liking the post. Say what you liked about it, talk about the plot, the characters, etc. Even if you didn't like it, say so and say why! Give constructive feedback. It all comes down to effort, both from writers and readers. Discussion pays off for both parties.

This! I feel so much more compelled to write more when I get replies to episodes instead of just likes. I'm guilty of doing this myself, but man if it isn't motivation when I see a reply in The thread instead of "____ liked a post you made in Doody Era".

• Like 2

This! I feel so much more compelled to write more when I get replies to episodes instead of just likes. I'm guilty of doing this myself, but man if it isn't motivation when I see a reply in The thread instead of "____ liked a post you made in Doody Era".

are you refering to me? b/c i didn't have anything to say so,... :/