Jump to content
  • Advertisement

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 3: Sponge on the Run News


Recommended Posts

You know, by this point I think that anything that post-sequel creates will be better than this upcoming trainwreck of a movie on this 20th anniversary. At least they know their audience. 

This movie is made for what audience in mind exactly? For nostalgic fans? Nostalgic fans remember old episodes very well to notice bull-crap that happens in this plot. For newbies, for kids that never watched Spongebob before? I see no reason to go to the movie that based on show they never watched. 

I really hope that Nickelodeon is bad at marketing, because so far it doesn't look good at all. It maybe will be our new prime-example of executive meddling in this series.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Klu said:

You know, by this point I think that anything that post-sequel creates will be better than this upcoming trainwreck of a movie on this 20th anniversary. At least they know their audience. 

This movie is made for what audience in mind exactly? For nostalgic fans? Nostalgic fans remember old episodes very well to notice bull-crap that happens in this plot. For newbies, for kids that never watched Spongebob before? I see no reason to go to the movie that based on show they never watched. 

I really hope that Nickelodeon is bad at marketing, because so far it doesn't look good at all. It maybe will be our new prime-example of executive meddling in this series.

I am almost 100% sure that the reason the movie got delayed by over a year was because the executives constantly threw out plots.

Honestly, if they scrapped the alien cat storyline, I'm actually impressed. They realized that a SpongeBob movie shouldn't focus on things that could easily be done in its own movie. That's good executive meddling, if you ask me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that's that.

I know I've been trying to say this numerous times, but at this point, I think we all shouldn't jump the gun when it comes to forming our own opinions about how the film may turn about to be. We are given a premise, and it's there to be judged, but we can't easily predict the film's quality through that alone. Also, if I cold recall any other cases in judging something too quickly, one past similar instance that I know of was when most of us members of the SB fan community thought that WhoBob WhatPants was going to be a 70+ minute special - and this was all the way back in the TV.com days.

A Wonderful Sponge's release is not for another year and a half, so we still got far to go. So, I am only anticipating for new information about the film to arrive in the near future. And maybe, just maybe all this waiting might be worth something good.

Edited by Steel Sponge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All I saw out of that which I liked is the potential idea of the movie focusing on the Gary/Spongebob relationship

We've done Plankton/Spongebob team-ups and Patrick/Spongebob team-ups

Either use Gary or use the Squidward dynamic (that one kind of deserves a turn if done like the classic years)

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More info here, and one tidbit probably won't make people very happy:

https://movieweb.com/spongebob-squarepants-movie-its-a-wonderful-sponge-production-start/

"Reportedly, the origin story will take place at Camp Coral, revealing how he meets some of his very best friends like Patrick Star and Sandy Squirrel. Courtesy of Mikros Image (Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie), the animated movie will use full CGI animation for the underwater sequences, which marks the first time for the franchise to do so. Live-action sequences will be featured as well, similar to the first SpongeBob movie."

It's official: This movie will definitely be retconning Tea at the Treedome (for obvious reasons) and maybe Help Wanted.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Sad 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Possible overeaction incoming...

Spoiler

SANDY SQUIRREL AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fuck this movie, fuck the whole concept of this. I will not support this or watch this. This has no right to shit on the show's estabilished introductions. Anyone who thought this was a good idea, shame on you. Hillenburg deserves better than this, dammit.

I admit, I was very skeptical of Sponge Out of Water as well but that could have been easily ignored if it ended up being bad. This? This is an insult to the show. I hope this movie will be scrapped or rewritten as a non-origin piece. I'm out. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can believe the Patrick thing, but "Sandy Squirrel?!" Who's working on this movie?! I'll give this the benefit of the doubt for now until more information comes out, but how can they think of something like that? Bring back the space cats! And the beautiful moment between SpongeBob and Gary!

  • Like 4
  • Happy 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is pretty much the same news I've heard about the film before, except that I know now that it's going with the premise that Paramount presented with us and that it's officially in production. Then there's the whole "Sandy Squirrel" bit, but I could only imagine it just being a typo. Even if the film IS trying to retcon "Cheeks," then I don't think it's going to do any sort of damage. Sandy is and will always be Sandy Cheeks in a universal standpoint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think "Sandy Squirrel" is the problem, more like retconning episodes like "Tea at the Treedome", "Help Wanted", and "Truth or Square"- episodes that show how SpongeBob met all his friends and turning it into a Summer Camp plot. Theoretically, you can show how SpongeBob met Patrick since that hasn't been shown yet, but we already know how he met Sandy, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Hayden said:

All I saw out of that which I liked is the potential idea of the movie focusing on the Gary/Spongebob relationship

We've done Plankton/Spongebob team-ups and Patrick/Spongebob team-ups

Either use Gary or use the Squidward dynamic (that one kind of deserves a turn if done like the classic years)

That's what I'm trying to do in the future. ;) 

bad joke I know

also hearing about the above plot. Just... why? WHY ALREADY ESTABLISH A THING THAT HAPPENED IN THE BEGINNING OF THE SERIES just for something else and have to be a movie?

I'm confused so far it just sounds like a waste of money fuck not judging the book by its cover I'm not applying it with this, it's already a trainwreck. Sorry

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the plot that has everyone (besides me) all up in arms over means anything now, I think it means more people are probably going to come to the defense of Truth of Square for how it was at least a more faithful tribute to the franchise than IAWS may ever be. I like ToS unironically, so I say that's good.

Edited by Steel Sponge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe the movieweb reporter has just never seen SpongeBob and got the wrong idea when he or she went to do research on the movie. Maybe the creator told him or her that the movie would be an origin story of how SpongeBob met his friends and that Patrick and Sandy will be in it. Then wrote this, not knowing how important it was to be more truthful to what was said.

Edited by BeachBob95
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, BeachBob95 said:

Maybe the movieweb reporter has just never seen SpongeBob and got the wrong idea when he or she went to do research on the movie. Maybe the creator told him or her that the movie would be an origin story of how SpongeBob met his friends and that Patrick and Sandy will be in it. Then wrote this, not knowing how important it was to be more truthful to what was said.

Err, I think you might be looking into it too much. These things are unlikely to happen in reporting news about movies, I think it is more likely Nickelodeon's marketing and public relations skills are just shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...