• Advertisement

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 3: Sponge on the Run News

Ash Ketchum

As great as the CGI looks and for as much as I got a chuckle out of Patrick betting on what he thought was a L.  I’m sorry guys.  This movie does not look good.  At all.

Serious question.  Is it possible for Nickelodeon to make a SpongeBob movie that’s not about him losing something?  First, Neptune’s Crown.  Then, the formula.  Now, Gary.  And I just felt a lot of rehashing going on all around from the previous two movies. Reusing the burger mobile from the first movie to SpongeBob and Patrick going on another road trip to the two of them experiencing a sugar high on cotton candy.  Hell even the Keanu Reeves cameo doesn’t surprise me in all honesty.  It felt like having David Hasselhoff playing an important role in the first movie all over again, except for the fact that Keanu Reeves is a thousand times more like likeable.  Add onto the fact that they are ditching their own canon for how SpongeBob met Gary, just so they can inter promote that brand new spinoff in the works that nobody is looking forward to.  I just disagree with a lot of the decisions that are being made in this movie.

I’m probably still going to see it regardless thanks to being on AMC’s A-List, but in all honesty, I’m looking forward to that other animated movie coming out in May 2020 from one of my other favorite childhood cartoon properties (SCOOB!) at least ten times more than this.

• Like 1
  • God Himself 1

Boy, puberty was not kind to SpongeBob LOL!

Well, the CG ain't so bad though I'd like it better if it were a 2D movie. I went from going "Awww!" when I saw Gary, to going "Awww..." when I saw Kamp Koral. Yeah, it's bad enough that they're retconning how SpongeBob met everyone else, but now they're throwing Gary into the mix. We already know how SpongeBob met Gary ("You should try the local animal shelter, Plankton. That's where I found my Gary.") It's interesting that we're getting another road trip like the last movie and we even got the patty wagon back, which is nice. I did laugh at Patrick betting on "L" and the line about "pure ironing". Regardless of the whole putting Kamp Koral just to promote their Netflix spin-off, it's SpongeBob, so pretty sure I'll still go see it. Who knows, it might be good Kamp Koral aside.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I could talk about why I don't mind about the CG like I did numerous times, I could talk about how I'm still not sold on the whole Camp Coral concept, because of the damage that was already done (and Nick's recent attempt of damage control regarding it), I could talk about why I had to defend this for the past several months because at the time there was too little information known about it and it was too early to judge, but I just need to talk about the trailer. The main problem I have with it is how the trailer just wasn't able to sell it for me. A lot of the plot elements that I'm seeing so far feel too recycled from the other two films, in extent to the "Have You Seen This Snail?" special (but instead of Gary running away, we have him being taken for whatever reason). The trailer makes the claim that it is a buddy movie, but come on, we already had a SB buddy movie and it was the very first one.

The fact that Clappy already pointed out that it's coming out in the same timeframe as another, similar film that's also based on a television series (SCOOB!), doesn't make my first impression on this any better. Both films are going to be competing with each other and no matter how much of a fan I am of SB, I feel like I am going to end up liking SCOOB! more than Sponge on the Run (at the very least, the title makes a lot more sense now).

If it isn't already telling, I am still going to see this film as soon as it's out. Based on what I've seen from the trailer, the film doesn't look like it will be terrible, but I'm not expecting it to be something outstanding either, so I know that I'll have to wait and see the following year on what my general opinion will be on this.

• Like 3
  • Hug 1

It's not AAA HORRIBLE GARBAGE PIECE OF SHIT FUCK YOU PENIS THIS IS BAD AAA, but it's not AAA DELIGHTFUL AMAZING-NESS PIECE OF AWESOME YES YES YES THIS IS GOOD AAA. I do feel that it seems to be another rehashed story (they lose something and have to go find it and save the day). It's like...Have You Seen This Snail if it was a feature film and a character development story for Gary and SpongeBob as kids.

I still will obviously watch it, and I will say it's probably really good, but nothing will ever beat the first movie, sadly.

• Funny 1

Spongebob Movie GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run Spongebob's (and my) reaction, to EVERYONE who is already JUDGING this movie WITHOUT EVEN WATCHING IT!!!! o.o How can you TELL if you LIKE a movie if you DON'T even WATCH IT?!!! This is ALMOST MORE excruciating than EVERY SINGLE DAY from 2001 to January 20, 2009! :rolleyes: In fact, to borrow a phrase from Bill Maher: "New Rule: You can no longer judge a movie BEFORE you've even SEEN it!" :cool: Enough said! ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

Spongebob Movie GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run Spongebob's (and my) reaction, to EVERYONE who is already JUDGING this movie WITHOUT EVEN WATCHING IT!!!! o.o How can you TELL if you LIKE a movie if you DON'T even WATCH IT?!!! This is ALMOST MORE excruciating than EVERY SINGLE DAY from 2001 to January 20, 2009! :rolleyes: In fact, to borrow a phrase from Bill Maher: "New Rule: You can no longer judge a movie BEFORE you've even SEEN it!" :cool: Enough said! ;)

We're not judging the film as a whole, we're simply judging the trailer for it.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

It’s called “first impressions”. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Animation isn't horrible, but the 2D of SoOW was so beautiful, it's a crime they aren't making a 2D film because it's not as "commerically profitable" as CGI films. Load of garbage.

Still, the animators work with what they have, and the film has a better style than the cheaper CGI of SoOW. I don't mind the animation as much as I thought I would, it's surprisingly colorful, expressive, sort of reminds of the Peanuts Movie.

The story line...eh....

Have You Seen This Snail? And the jokes are lame. I don't expect Pre-Movie-level jokes, for god's sake, the pre-movie era ended over fifteen years ago. But the humor is kind of generic, fairly basic. I know modern episodes rely too much on visual gags (I haven't watched a new episode in like over a year though, so I don't know what's changed in terms of writing), but since this film has a jerkier, less spastic/loose style, it makes me wonder how well the humor will hold up in this film. Also I don't know what the context of Keanu Reeve's appearance is, but it's easily the highlight of the trailer. No need for it, but it's so perfect. 

I don't think I'll ever feel right watching this, knowing Hillenburg isn't overseeing the project, especially with the shady spin-off commissions from the network.

Me when I find out they retconned how SpongeBob met Gary (Even there's already been 3 different backstories in the show already) and how the movie is just a cash grab based off Kamp Koral that disrespects Hillenburg (Even though Hillenburg pitched the plot for this movie before soow even came out)

rNg88mK.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1