• Advertisement

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 3: Sponge on the Run News

Ash Ketchum

Wolf-Rudiger Bloss made better promotion for this movie by posting this storyboards than Nick himself ever could up until this point. This actually looks interesting and trippy, just what I liked about SooW. 4th storyboard segment legit emotional, despite me knowing literally no context. Those upped my hopes for this movie a bit, but I'm still not entirely convinced, since those could be from some sort of "scrapped" version that was good. 

But I will hope that Nickelodeon was awful was advertising once again.

• Like 4

the storyboards have raised me hope more. It seems the movie isn't 100% an origin story, we'll be getting actual space adventures and some battle against a cat empire. That's really nuts and kind of out of place for SpongeBob but I take that over stupid rectons. Now obviously, these storyboards can be cut away from the movie and it'll be a stupid origin movie but as long as this is the movie and the origin stuff are just flashbacks of "only" Patrick meeting SpongeBob, I'll be more positive towards this.

• Like 5

what is this tho??? this doesn't even feel like Spongebob anymore. couldn't they have been sharks or something? but CATS?? like thats cool and all but im really really skeptical about this. still gonna give it a shot and im sure the animation will be GORGEOUS so im looking forward to that. but as for the storyline, it gets a big "ehhhhh" from me.

• Like 7

These storyboards are proposing quite the interesting and out-of-this-world (literally) plot but the cats coming in spaceships is just... what? Why? How even? I have lots of questions for this movie because this is not feeling like SpongeBob at all, but more like a poorly done fan fiction. I'm sorry but cats just do not fit into SpongeBob at all, hence why I never liked Kenny the Cat from Season 9, just t what the fuck is this movie's direction? This feels like a joke almost, the first movie was a near masterpiece, the second one was out there but made some sense at least, but this one? I don't even know how in Neptune's name this can be an official SpongeBob film? I have been waiting so long for this film and I will see it when it comes out, but I am very unsure about it at the moment. Or... this could be scrapped and the summer camp/origin story stuff is the new plot? Hopefully that is the case because I am really not thinking good about this film at the moment.

• Like 2

This actually looks better than the summer camp origin story that retcons the series story. I actually kinda laughed at some of it despite having no sound or context. The last one was also very touching since I could get that SpongeBob and Gary we're about to sacrifice themselves but still have each other followed by hilarious trippy imagery. The storyboards look beautiful which is why I would prefer it being in traditional animation than the whole thing being CG. The whole space cat invasion sounds pretty funny for SpongeBob. I kinda hope they do that story.

• Like 1

If anything, those storyboards are a small bit of proof that I need to see that the people working on the third movie do care about the source material. Yeah, there's the whole bit about Don Bluth-esque cats existing in the SpongeBob universe, but come on...we had an underwater gorilla and zebra in "I Had an Accident." We had a hallucinated giant hamster in "Cuddle E. Hugs." FFS, we had Kenny the Cat, an actual cat trying to make a living for himself in the underwater world for one episode. What's the point in questioning the logic in those storyboards when the logic was already gone in the show itself? Also, to change the subject for just a moment, the fourth storyboard is absolutely adorable.

Oh...and as for the film itself, I'm still not going to judge it until we get some new information that completely confirms what we know about A Wonderful Sponge so far, may it be the premise that we were presented with, and/or these storyboards that I'm certain were just made as tests. 

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1

All of those storyboards might have been scrapped in favor of the summer camp story.

I highly doubt the people working on the movie would be able to fit a camp prequel storyline, space cat empire stuff (first two storyboards and the last one), and contemporary SpongeBob scenes (third storyboard) into a ninety-minute movie.

I also don't think a writer would be allowed to release storyboards for the actual movie before a trailer came out, especially storyboards that give away so much about the film already.

Either that, or a Paramount executive has literally no idea what she's doing.

I have to point out that even if the movie does turn out to be a summer camp story, it'll at least still LOOK like SpongeBob. Those storyboards involve the characters getting chased by science fiction cats in a suburban neighborhood, and teaming up with human children. Uhhh... what? 

23 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

You all enjoy an episode like "The String" and yet the idea of space cats invading is too surreal? 

That's not exactly. We all enjoy surrealism in SpongeBob but you can agree that stuff like space cats are too out of place for a show like SpongeBob. I mean I don't find it that bad but i find it so bizarre for no reason. There should always be a limit to your weirdness imo but I honestly prefer this over 100% of this being an origin movie in summer camp anytime.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Golfpecks256 said:

It could mean they're rewriting a new version of it though. :)

Hopefully, they scrapped the summer camp version too. Don't know what other possible plots we could have anymore.

• Like 2