• Advertisement

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 3: Sponge on the Run News

Ash Ketchum

1 hour ago, Grim said:

SpongeBob meet Squidward, Mr. Krabs

Well

In Help Wanted was established that Squidward knew SpongeBob for quite sometime, at least

Mr.Krabs also could knew him

If he (SpongeBob) wanted to work in Krusty Krab, he should've been visit it at least once and he could easily met him

Sandy is technically is a main character, but her appearances are so scarce compare to everyone else, that she almost secondary character by this point

So, while this concept sounds a bit weird, until first trailer drops, I will remain somewhat positive.

Edited by Klu

SpongeBob meeting Sandy at this summer camp wouldn't actually make a lick of sense in any way, especially when it's been somewhat established that her main reason for being in Bikini Bottom in the first place is due to it being related to her field of employment. But I think the movie will find a way around this...and that's due to the primary reason why I'm not too keen on the concept of an origin story: the show's canon is wishy-washy at best. It's capable of establishing key dynamics that carry on into the majority of the show's run but otherwise, any specific details about the characters are often played for laughs or written in such a way that's more convenient for the plot than adding any sort of substance to the characters.

I'll probably end up watching this in spite of that, though, because I'm a sucker for SpongeBob movies anyway and this has piqued my interest ever since I first heard of its development. Also, I'm not too bothered by the CGI aspect of it (as in, it doesn't bother me that it's not gonna be in 2D). I mean, am I upset that this movie is basically gonna blend in with all the other CGI movies nowadays and lack a USP (2D animation in mainstream Western movies is almost non-existent)? Yes. But do I think it'll make or break the movie? No...although perhaps if not a truly thought out reimagining through this medium. I have faith in them, though; I enjoyed the stop-motion specials a lot, and they were pretty well done, so who's to say they can't do the same for a feature film with CGI?

There is also some personal bias in that I personally favor CGI in regards to the medium in which I want to pursue on my animation course, so this movie would probably be a great watch for that side of me as well.

Yeah, the entire "summer camp" premise concerns me. I hope they pull it off in a way that actually makes sense, or else it'll be a huge retcon, possibly the largest one in the entire franchise. Since Aaron Springer did the story for this, and Tim Hill, who literally co-wrote Help Wanted, is directing, I have some confidence that they'll do it right.

Also, not a fan of the all-CG route. Would've preferred another 2D movie, but I'm sure the CG will look nice anyway.

This show has completely ignored all continuity before, but this is just ridiculous. Who in their right mind thought making a movie about the characters meeting at a FREAKING SUMMER CAMP was a good idea? Why a summer camp? What kind? Would Krabs be there? He’d be way too old!! What about Squidward? Why would he be interested? AHHHHHHHHHHHHH There better be a darn good explanation for this shiznit!!! BLYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So in other words...the third movie is just going to be Camp Lazlo but with SpongeBob characters. Well, that gives me the opportunity to use this joke again:

vailkskithumbnail.thumb.png.eb3bc9c8725831d9258c9b6490a006ed.png

With all seriousness,  this news leaves me confused in what the third movie is trying to accomplish. Its title is based on It's a Wonderful Life, even though there's no smidge of info that indicates that it has some elements of It's a Wonderful Life. This is supposed to be the origin story of how SpongeBob met his friends, but unless I'm told "hey, this isn't actually canon to the SpongeBob SquarePants lore!," then I don't know how I'm supposed to believe that it's so, because one way for me of seeing if the premise for the film could make sense is if the characters are re-established and inserted in a retread of Camp Lazlo and its "Where's Lazlo?" special, based on what i know of the film's premise.

If the movie is set in an alternate universe and it's not actually canon to the TV series, then I'll give this a bit of an easy pass. It's only using CGI? That's not entirely a bad thing. I'd also keep in mind that 2D animation as a trend has been dead for years now, and there's several reasons for that: the lack of demand of them from the majority, people still haven't found ways to evolve it any further, and probably any reasons that have to do with handling the budget of a typical 2D animated film.

I'll take this with a grain of salt, but I won't nitpick on this until I could actually see the bigger picture.

Edited by H.P. Rugcraft

We already know SpongeBob has known Patrick since childhood.

We know from Truth or Square that he met Squidward after moving on Conch Street

Unless it's not the first time, SpongeBob met Mr. Krabs after getting his job

Tea at the Treedome is how he met Sandy.

Yeah, the meeting at a Summer Camp thing makes no sense, but I'll still go see it since it's SpongeBob. But I'm disappointed that it'll be all CG cuz the 2D movie animation is gorgeous

This better be really good. The premise couldn't be much worse. Like Negi said, we already know how SpongeBob met all these people. The only thing we're not sure of is if SpongeBob met Mr. Krabs before Help Wanted. But even if he has, they don't seem to be friends or even really know each other in that episode. So if we really see SpongeBob meeting all these people (from which Sandy is the most bland discission), it wouldn't make sense, even for Mr. Krabs, and for me would mess up anything established in the show so bad, that I'm afraid I will be losing interest at that point.

EDIT: So after reading the article, I noticed that it didn't mention who SpongeBob will meet for the first time, besides 'the rest of Bikini Bottom' and 'our favourite characters'. Also the fact that show developer Tim Hill works on the story (and should definitely know about Help Wanted and Tea at the Treedome) gives me a little hope that the story could be creative and still make sense. Maybe we see how SpongeBob meets Bubble Bass and Larry, or something..? I don't know. I find it hard to believe that Hill will mess this up, while at the same time I find it hard to imagine this concept NOT failing. All in all, it could have been that this lady didn't really know what she was talking about. Maybe she got the wrong impression and doesn't know the show very well herself. I still have a little hope left, but like I said before: this better be really good.....

Edited by BeachBob95

Seeing how the title doesn't correlate with the summer camp aspect at all, I'm pretty sure this movie is suffering from executive meddling.

Like, didn't Vincent Waller say that this movie would be a blend of 2D and 3D animation? I bet that was the original plan until some important official came in and argued with the staff for two hours.

This is probably what happened with the second movie. It started off as an apocalypse-Mad Max sort of thing before regressing into a real-world superhero film. The executives and the actual staff are just playing tug-of-war with the plot, and because of it, we get an incoherent mess of ideas instead of a single story progression (like with the first movie).

Alright, so with Stephen gone, what in the world is going to happen with this film? It's certainly not being cancelled anytime soon, but how will it be handled now? Won't it be kind of rude to retcon all of SpongeBob's lore that is actually has been consistent with the series since its premiere with this whole origins plot? Second of all, why not make this a TV movie? Previous SpongeBob films have had the cast on an epic adventure, but an origin story? What else can they do with this except attempt to add in some kind of epic adventure just to ignore how pointless the real plot of this movie is? So many questions are being raised that I'm starting to have doubt this film will be good, to be honest.

• Like 1

If they are going to retool all of Stephen's original ideas, this movie will be officialy one of the most worst, insulting and disrespectful parts of the series. I was somewhat cautiously optimistic about this movie recently, but now I'm just as on offence as everyone else.

• Like 5

Okay, seriously...

We only know just a few bits of details about the film. It's way too early to judge if it's destined to be a terrible film. Even if Hillenburg's death might've left these small details with a bitter taste and made it seem like it's going against what he's worked for, I can't help but reconsider that he did have some involvement with this, so it makes me think that he might've given his okay on whatever ideas have been made for the film (but I'm not saying that I can confirm this). Right now, I'm curious to know if anything will be changed towards the film or when any more information will pop up. At this point, all I could ask for towards the people working on the film is that they treat Stephen Hillenburg's death with the utmost respect.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 3

There is no way, no freaking way I'll support this movie. There is no chance of this being good if it rectons the show's lore. The show may have a messy continuity but it still has kept how the characters met each other and it has to stay that way. If it's just how SpongeBob meets Patrick, fine, I won't say a thing. Other characters? Nope. Regardless of Hillenburg being ok with this recton, I can't because the show's lore and backstories are still important to the franchise and they do not deserve to be ignored. 

Sigh, sometimes I wish this franchise would 100% end after the first movie.

• Like 5

I kind of ignored news if this movie for a while but looking back,yeah,so far it looks sad.I seriously don’t want to see Let A Sleeper Dogs Lie from Spongebob,and if it’s would,it might be even more interesting offensive to community who care about Spongebob than Truth or Square already did.And I don’t even say anything about decide to be Wonderful Life parody and complete step to 3D animation only.I don’t really hyped to see this movie.

3 hours ago, WhoBob said:

Sigh, sometimes I wish this franchise would 100% end after the first movie.

If it would’ve ended like that we wouldn’t seen Gary Got Legs soon you fool

• Thanks 2

You DO realize there are actually people out there (E.G.: Me), who actually LIKE the "Yogi Bear" movie?! :rolleyes: Anyways, I won't begin to actually judge the movie until we at LEAST get a decent trailer to know more about how the movie is going to look. And as long as they handle the movie respectfully, in regards to Stephen Hillenburg, than I'll think the movie will be just fine, and I won't say anything else, so as to avoid jinxing anything to a negative quality! Enough said, for now! ;)

• God Himself 1