• Advertisement

Asperger Syndrome

Sweat

Guest hilaryfan80

Honestly, Aspergers isn't even bad at all. It does make you socially awkward,  but it makes you awesome at some things, and I can completely respect that. In some areas, I'm actually kind of jealous. Like, if you're very gifted in coding, I'm jealous because I can't give my 100% attention to coding, but someone with Aspergers probably could.

That being said, it's great that you embrace it. :) I know I would if I had it.

When I was younger, I was actually diagnosed with Aspergers for a brief time. It was based on my teacher thinking I couldn't read (which was completely wrong, just not out loud) and not being social but now I know that's because I'm more or less introverted.

My parent thought I have aspbergers. I have OCD, long story short it use to really bad, like I'd wash my hands for long periods of time, I had to count some things out and etc. It has diminished over the years due to less stress, but I still regularly have it.

Edited by Kiyozu♡

I'm assuming I have it and I'm quite frankly puzzled why I receieved no treatment for it while I was in school. I shouls've been in special ed or had some additional help of some sort.

I have every single symptom of it and much of my family have autism (including my father, sisters and cousin) as well.

The social impairment thing is a big issue for me as well and I've gotten in a lot of trouble both online and in real life because of it.

I have autism, did not find out that I had it until last year because of my parents constantly insisting that I didn't have it because I had a good memory and could name all 150 Generation 1 Pokemon (please don't ask...). I got an actual diagnosis last year out of curiosity because I wanted to know more about why I was the way I was. I know now though that it doesn't matter because autism isn't what defines me, it's me alone.  

I got diagnosed with Asperger's a few years ago. I'd say it has its equal share of ups and downs. It's not always easy for to relate to people because there... aren't really many people who share the same fascination with animation and preschool shows as me. :funny: 

As you'd expect, I've faced a lot of bullying for that, and that's made me pretty withdrawn around people my age. Most of my real life friends are the kids in the neighborhood (which is nice--kids have an unbroken, accepting view of the world), but obviously that's not enough.

It's weird, really. Part of me wants to put myself out there and meet people my age, but another part is too scared of repeating all that bullying again. Maybe someday I'll do something about it.

That's the gist of what Asperger's does to me. 

• Like 2

My mother keeps reassuring me I'm not autistic- yet I obviously am. Plus I believe my father has stated once or twice to me privately I am.

I'd like for her to be honest with me because this would explain pretty much everything about me.

If you were to talk with me for like half an hour it's immediately obvious with my mannerisms and the way I communicate.

I was professionally diagnosed with autism at birth pretty much, so my parents have known that I have it for... well, my entire life. Aside from the unfortunate fact that even though I love talking to people, I always have a hard time keeping conversations + I always seem to come off as awkward, I actually don't mind having it. It doesn't really affect my life negatively as much as it used to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I was professionally diagnosed with autism at birth pretty much, so my parents have known that I have it for... well, my entire life. Aside from the unfortunate fact that even though I love talking to people, I always have a hard time keeping conversations + I always seem to come off as awkward, I actually don't mind having it. It doesn't really affect my life negatively as much as it used to.

I can relate too. I crave interaction and talking with people even though I'm pretty awkward with it. Most of my friendships either fall apart because I overshare and vent, or I find out they're one-sided and I'm being manipulated.

I also find it hard too to continue conversations when I'm no longer interested and that has gotten me into trouble.

• Like 1

As someone who may or may not have it, the "Aspergers makes me an individual" mindset has soured on me a lot.

The way I see it at this point is that you don't need to be autistic to be individual, people are individuals no matter what mental conditions they have or don't have.

I've learned that it's a lot healthier not to see Aspergers as making you an individual, but to see having Aspergers as not stopping you from fitting with others. It makes it more assuring that you can coexist with others regardless of if they're autistic or not.

15 minutes ago, Halibut said:

As someone who may or may not have it, the "Aspergers makes me an individual" mindset has soured on me a lot.

The way I see it at this point is that you don't need to be autistic to be individual, people are individuals no matter what mental conditions they have or don't have.

I've learned that it's a lot healthier not to see Aspergers as making you an individual, but to see having Aspergers as not stopping you from fitting with others. It makes it more assuring that you can coexist with others regardless of if they're autistic or not.

I never said people with mental conditions are superior, but yeah, we neurodiverse are more unique in a way or stand out more. I'm mostly just sick of having to bend over backwards or hide my conditions to fit in.

32 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

I never said people with mental conditions are superior, but yeah, we neurodiverse are more unique in a way or stand out more. I'm mostly just sick of having to bend over backwards or hide my conditions to fit in.

Well the way I see it as that everyone regardless of mental conditions has weird quirks. Autists/Aspies have their own weird quirk, I wouldn't consider it something extra.

If it were a straight-up mental disorder, I wouldn't say that, but aspergers, at least high-functioning, is just a different set-up to me.