• Advertisement

The Fairly OddParents

storytime7

On 2/8/2018 at 10:22 PM, Steel Sponge said:

After all this time that I've expressed disdain towards the recent seasons, I can't believe I didn't take the time to talk about how good this series is until now. To reiterate, I love this show no matter how worse it got in the more recent seasons.

I also thought I'd revive this thread since news broke out about Butch Hartman leaving Nickelodeon, which makes it safe to say at this point that FOP is officially done. ...And that sucks because I now have to be reminded that the show didn't end on a good note. Pretty sure everyone else in this room is happy that FOP has finally ended its run, but from my point of view, it deserves a shot at redemption.

Delayed reply here, but you had me up until the bolded part.  It doesn’t deserve a shot at redemption.  The series reinvented itself, three times.  By that logic, that’s three shots at redeeming itself that it faltered.  It kept ending on a worse and worse note every time and they kept trying to fix that by adding another unnecessary character.  By saying it deserves another shot at redemption, that’s implying there was something worth salvaging.  There is nothing left from this series worth keeping it running.  I don’t want to see any more new main characters brought in to shake up the status quo.  I don’t want to see any more Timmy’s Dad, Cosmo, or Crocker subplots.  I don’t want to see any more rehashed episodes.  I don’t want to see any more attempts at beating this dead horse.  No matter how much I loved the first five/six year run of The Fairly Oddparents, I’m glad they are finally letting it die.

• Like 4

Two and a half years later, and I still stick to my opinion that the show had no reason to still be going, regardless of how it would have ended. Even back then, I could not have cared less if it had ended on a good note or not because The Fairly Oddparents I grew up with as a kid ended long ago in my heart. It can't go out in style if it's already gone out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clappy said:

Delayed reply here, but you had me up until the bolded part.  It doesn’t deserve a shot at redemption.  The series reinvented itself, three times.  By that logic, that’s three shots at redeeming itself that it faltered.  It kept ending on a worse and worse note every time and they kept trying to fix that by adding another unnecessary character.  By saying it deserves another shot at redemption, that’s implying there was something worth salvaging.  There is nothing left from this series worth keeping it running.  I don’t want to see any more new main characters brought in to shake up the status quo.  I don’t want to see any more Timmy’s Dad, Cosmo, or Crocker subplots.  I don’t want to see any more rehashed episodes.  I don’t want to see any more attempts at beating this dead horse.  No matter how much I loved the first five/six year run of The Fairly Oddparents, I’m glad they are finally letting it die.

Now see, my idea of redemption is not for the show to get renewed again and continue to make the same mistakes that they've made. What I'm saying is that I'm holding on for a possible revival to remind us of how good FOP was and that it can maybe overcome its demons from the latter half of its run and go into a better direction. My idea of a revival is nothing more than a TV movie likewise with all the other past Nickelodeon shows that got the similar treatment.

If people are still holding on for any kind of revival from Danny Phantom, then I'm hoping for my idea of redemption for FOP to come true. If it doesn't, then I'm not really going to feel disappointed, since I already felt that way when it came to seasons 9-10 and the live-action movies. I'm glad the show ended its run before Nickelodeon would have to shoehorn in more seasons and that the show would continue taking a worse direction, but there's also a part of me that feels that there is still some substance to allow the show redeem itself at some, much later point.

In my mind, the show ended exactly where it ended, and it's hard for me to really shake it out, especially since I have a realistic mindset and that FOP had several methods to write its own end with "Channel Chasers," "Fairly Idol," "Wishology," "Meet the OddParents," "The Fairy Beginning," and yet as of this point, the very last episode involves Timmy and Chloe's parents getting into a petty feud, Cosmo making incredibly cheap jabs at Weird Owl, and whatever else that just left my memory banks.

...Sorry, I'm done venting now, but when it comes to the thought of a FOP revival of some sort...maybe it will happen, maybe it won't happen at all. Maybe it could end up bad, but maybe it won't. The future of FOP is unpredictable, but I'd like to imagine it being something good.

FOP had enough good finales to wrap up its story. So it doesn't matter If it officially ends on a high note or not. I'm glad the show finally died and Butch Hartman is moving onto other projects. 

• Like 3

https://tvweb.com/the-fairly-oddparents-live-action-tv-show-paramount-plus/

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head, I wanna drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow
And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad