• Advertisement

School Thread

Take classes that challenge you rather than the easier classes.

I'd recommend taking a mix of hard and easy classes so you don't kill yourself. I agree with everything else in that list, though.

For anyone who's considering going to college, here's a bit of advice for you. Don't worry about the marketing of the school and don't get sucked into that whole mentality that you gotta go to this school just because of the name in most cases. Unless you got some really good scholarship to say one of those Ivy League schools and you're going into something like law or finance, you shouldn't concern yourself that much with those places. That kind of thinking led to me taking a whole year off from school and a situation where I could have potentially screwed myself over by going to a much more expensive out of state school because I fell for how they tried to advertise the place. 

Focus on making sure the school you're going to is accredited first of all and that it's not some rinky dink thing like DeVry University or any of those for-profit colleges. I also believe that the program and major you pick is really really important and what will really matter in the long term. If you wanna know whether college is worth your time or not, it depends upon the college, the major, the tuition, and all sorts of factors and it's not as simple as some people would have you believe when they try to generalize and say that college is a complete waste of time.

Do your due diligence and ask people who have been in the industry you want to work in how things are and then go from there if you feel going into that industry will be worth it in your situation. There's also nothing wrong with going to a trade school or a community college if you believe those are the best options in your situation and you're looking to get your degree as cheap as possible and learning something that can make you more employable. Same with the state schools. Get an internship if you can before graduation and you'll probably be better off than if you hadn't. 

• Like 1

Oh school buses man

I rode one from Kindergarden to 7th and some interesting stuff happened on it. Like in 1st grade it was pouring outside and these kids would open the emergency exits for like no reason and they opened one in the back and the kids in the back got SOAKED

Oh school buses man

I rode one from Kindergarden to 7th and some interesting stuff happened on it. Like in 1st grade it was pouring outside and these kids would open the emergency exits for like no reason and they opened one in the back and the kids in the back got SOAKED

yeah, crazy shit happens on the buses :P

Well I bought all my supplies yesterday. Costed me $25 total and I bought like 6-7 notebooks, some more pencils, highlighters, and some pens. I used to be more focused on having binders but summer semester taught me that I learn more and keep things more organized with just using notebooks. I can't wait until school starts already on Monday. I only have one class to actually drive downtown for and the other class will be at night at home.

I start on Monday as well. Been feeling anxious about school and I'm trying to quell my nerves. I think it's the fact that I'm going to be a junior this year that's making me freak out. I guess I'll get some pens and pencils tomorrow since I have a pack of unopened paper left over from the spring semester. And I am looking forward to seeing what my classes will be like. A little part of me wishes I could've gone through with my desire to transfer schools but it's too late for that now.

I start on Monday as well. Been feeling anxious about school and I'm trying to quell my nerves. I think it's the fact that I'm going to be a junior this year that's making me freak out. I guess I'll get some pens and pencils tomorrow since I have a pack of unopened paper left over from the spring semester. And I am looking forward to seeing what my classes will be like. A little part of me wishes I could've gone through with my desire to transfer schools but it's too late for that now.

I think I have worse regrets than you to be honest. I've been in a very bad mood all day thinking about all the mistakes I made and feeling like shit living in this crap ass neighborhood still when I probably could have also moved out sooner for that too.

I could have saved myself a ton of time thinking about it and a lot of money too but that's why I'm trying to rectify everything now and going into overdrive with school and getting this IT certification next month. I'll be officially a senior after this semester so I'm just about one semester behind most of the people I went to school with. As I said before, I don't think employers usually give that much of a shit where you went to college as long as you have the skills they want. Rock that interview and have a linkedin page just in case cause part of it is having to put up with the HR department to get in.

I start on the 1st :o :o :o We went to Staples on Friday to get supplies. I bought 5 notebooks, 5 folders, 5 pencils, and 5 pens. Lolz I did not I realize I bought everything in fives o.o I also got some paper and a lunch box. Even though I got 5 notebooks and folders, I have 8 classes. It's just some of them don't require notebooks and folders, like Gym and Study Hall and Art.  :squiddance:

I am very anxious to start school in nine days!  :SquidGroan: Even though it's my second year of high school, I'm still just as anxious as I was before my first. It's just that my high school is so big I still don't know most people in my grade so there won't be a lot of people I know in my classes  :wtfsquid:  and I am very scared. Also stuff like Gym and Art and probably even Math classes will have people from different grades  :angrytom: which is freaky coz those people in other grades live in a whole other world and I just hope I will have some classes with my friends!!!!!

So I went back today, first day wasn't all too bad. Then again, the first day is all introductions and shit for the most part anyways. Also it doesn't help that my sister now goes to my college too, which means she has work after school at about 3:00, which means I always have to ride the bus home every day I have school cause I end at 4:15 -_-. Better than walking, I suppose.

I'm still here, chilling until my class session starts at 7:15. I was hoping to get more videos done but had to take care of something with Federal Student Aid on the phone so that took a while. The other class I went to today wasn't bad and my professor seems alright. Some of the info was stuff that I've been learning on my own lately with the videos I've been watching for my certification so there's some nice overlap. The coolest part was hearing stories about people who majored in the degree I'm doing right now and getting job offers for a $70k starting pay in some cases. Other people have already been working in IT for a while and others don't have experience yet like I do. 

I only have to go to one class for 4 days physically while the rest of what I'm doing is online.

• Like 1