• Advertisement

School Thread

This is really accurate. I was told this by another college grad I talked to. Employers mainly give a shit about the degree you get and not much else, and possibly all that networking crap too. I've been considering teaching myself programming though and getting some certs so I'll have more than just a degree I can show off. In the end, I still want to be a cartoonist for a living but I need stable income first.

Here in Georgia, you gotta have at least a cumulative 3.0 GPA to be able to keep getting the HOPE Scholarship. I have like a 3.4 overall right now.

If you wanna be a cartoonist you don't even need school. Art school is super expensive and all the professors are gonna tell you that hardly anyone in the class is gonna make it in the industry. If you wanna meet your potential future peers ahead of time then you can go ahead and do it (which is what I'm doing) but otherwise you can just teach yourself and save hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If you wanna be a cartoonist you don't even need school. Art school is super expensive and all the professors are gonna tell you that hardly anyone in the class is gonna make it in the industry. If you wanna meet your potential future peers ahead of time then you can go ahead and do it (which is what I'm doing) but otherwise you can just teach yourself and save hundreds of thousands of dollars.

My friend who went to animation school in New Zealand told me all about how he kinda wished he hadn't gone to the school because most of the stuff that they learned he could have just done on his own. 

I'm actually studying finance right now, but as I said, I'm very open to teaching myself other skills to make myself stand out

My friend who went to animation school in New Zealand told me all about how he kinda wished he hadn't gone to the school because most of the stuff that they learned he could have just done on his own. 

I'm actually studying finance right now, but as I said, I'm very open to teaching myself other skills to make myself stand out

Yeah, a couple people I've talked to have told me that you don't need to go to a big name art school really. A few people in the industry have been mostly self taught or just went to community colleges even. I think if you at least are self sustaining and have decent teachers wherever you go, you'll turn out alright. It does suck 99% of all creators come from CalArts, though.

Yeah, a couple people I've talked to have told me that you don't need to go to a big name art school really. A few people in the industry have been mostly self taught or just went to community colleges even. I think if you at least are self sustaining and have decent teachers wherever you go, you'll turn out alright. It does suck 99% of all creators come from CalArts, though.

Yeah, because Disney funds CalArts so a good chunk of students who go there just get picked up by Disney/Pixar because they're being personally groomed for studios out in California and then after that they're in the industry and they can do whatever they want. If studios were on the east coast then CalArts wouldn't be CalArts. It doesn't matter where you go. If you make good work and make an effort to maintain an online presence then sooner or later people are gonna see it.

• Like 1

With my college GPA, it started out good Fall 2013 semester, then I hit a ton of struggles (mostly personal) in Spring 2014 to where I was on Academic warning, I nearly got suspended after Summer 2014 (fuck that noise), I got my grades up in Fall 2014 but didn't prevent me from Academic Suspension (fortunately, I was able to convince the Dean to let me stay), and I currently have a 2.0 GPA after Spring 2015. I do hope to raise mine this upcoming semester.