• Advertisement

028. Christmas Who?

CartoonCF

This is the best TV special of the show. There's a great plot, with hilarious jokes. My favorite parts are:

patx.gif - JUST LIEK A GENIE!

squidward.gif - HIS FAVORITE UNDERPANTS!

sb.gif - S-S-S-S-S-S-S-SAN..

In my opinion this is one if not the most touching episode of all time. Let's see what I can recall from memory. Patchy starts the episode with his first appearance ever. It's a little long at the beginning, but not bad. I really liked the music in this one. It's cool to hear a Hawaiian jingle bells. We also get to see Bikini Bottom under snow, which was very rare during the time CW? came out. The story was very original. I'm glad they didn't go with the ordinary Xmas shtick. The songs are still memorable to this day of course. Now let's talk about the best moment of the episode. Actually it's one of the best parts of the whole series.The Squidward and SpongeBob relationship was absolutely spot on and brilliant. How? It followed exactly how they should act. SpongeBob tries to get Squidward to join into something fun, Squidward finds it annoying but doesn't realize how great the jolly spirit of the season is. I could go on forever about this part, but I decided just to sum it up.

SpongeBob doesn't drag Squidward into it besides decorating his home. And that's what I really like about this. Squidward got his laugh when it seemed like Santa was fake like he told them. So what's next? SpongeBob gives him a gift and Squid's heart melts a little. Squidward realizes he's made a *ahem* donkey out of himself and what does he do? He just doesn't try to reassure SpongeBob and be kind. He goes out of his way to pretend to be Santa just to make the little square dude AND the rest of Bikini Bottom happy. He even gives away all his stuff for corn's sake. I can't describe how choked up I feel whenever I catch this special on. It has a beautiful mix of silliness, charm and some serious moments. It captures the holiday spirit beautifully. Would I say it's better than It's a SB Christmas? Well Christmas Who really got passion and definitely has Squidward's most sincere gesture in it. I think both specials are good in their own ways. CW just has more heart when it comes to emotions. While IASBC is more played up for the laughs and schemes. Both are some of the finest work of the show.

9.7/10 :D

Beautifully heartwarming. It's one of Squidward's best moments in the entire series right up there with Dying for Pie. The original music was pretty good (title card, Very First Christmas, end credits). It was just nice to see such a miserable old grouch like Squidward end up reluctantly doing good by giving all his possessions away. The only fatal flaw is that Sandy just disappears after the first 5 minutes. Why didn't she just explain to SpongeBob that Santa wouldn't come until you were sound asleep? Regardless, it's one of my favorite SpongeBob episodes and one of my favorite Christmas specials overall.

Final score: 9.5/10

This episode contains pretty much everything that made Spongebob great. It has an amusing plot that actually develops, some great lines and character interactions, a catchy and surprisingly well written musical number, and most importantly, a heart. You feel for Spongebob and the gang as they want so desperately for Santa to come to Bikini Bottom and give them what they want for Christmas. This might be Squidward's best moment as a character (Pizza Delivery and Band Geeks are the other ones, arguably), as he's both hilariously in-character for much of the episode, before discovering and understanding the true meaning of Christmas more than anyone else. Christmas Who? deserves it's status as not only a classic episode of Spongebob, but as a warm, highly enjoyable Christmas TV classic.

10/10

• Like 1

It's shaping up to be a wonderful holiday

Not your normal, average, everyday

Sounds like someone felled my old coral tree

Spongebob, Patrick, why'd you do this to me?

The world feels like it's in loverly

Go away before I harm you bodily

This Christmas feels like the very first Christmas to me

They'll be shopping, decorating, and plenty of snow

Patrick, who's that under the mistletoe

What, who, me, would you look at the time, I should go

People seem a little more brotherly

Here's a special something from you to me

Even all the trash on Christmas, it smells so sweetly

This Christmas feels like the very first Christmas to me

La la la la la la la la

La la la la la la la la