• Advertisement

Do you have any closet hobbies/obsessions? [aka ones that you don't let anybody know about irl]

Sweat

Here's a weird hobby of mine: I collect paint swatches. Not kidding. Every time I go to Home Depot or Lowes, I would grab a crapload of paint swatches and then store them in a drawer back at my house. I don't know why, but I like doing it.

Why did you start smoking? If you have said before, could you give me a link to the post?

You know how people say they get their best ideas in the shower (there was even a joke on iCarly about it)? It's because shampooing your hair is a very mechanical activity and it lets your mind wander. Your body is working, but it's working on something that takes so little thought that it's basically on auto-pilot. If you try to fall asleep at night but find out can't because your mind is racing, it's because you aren't doing anything with your body. You're lying down, eyes shut, and that's a trigger for your brain to go off at 100 miles an hour. But, if you start to fidget, or get any sort of stimulation, you're gonna notice that you're thinking considerably less.

Smoking helps because of that. It's a mechanical activity that I do to help take the edge off. I get stressed really easily and I freak out and get nervous over almost everything, and it's nice that I finally have an "out", so to speak. If I have a bad day at work, or if I get frustrated at a drawing, or if I start thinking about the futility of life and human existence, or if I have to ask a girl out, or if I have to make a phone call, then I'm gonna have a cigarette to help calm myself down. I get a reason to go outside and do something that isn't a frustrating activity and it's not making me nervous about anything (I've smoked a cigarette for all of those reasons except asking a girl out because I started smoking after I decided to not date - but I still smoked whenever I knew I was seeing a girl I thought was attractive). I clear my head (though not my lungs) and then go back inside and get on with my life.

The social aspect is a plus. I would never start for the sole reason of wanting to make friends, but I have to admit that it's a nice bonus. I also have a reason to go outside, because going outside to smoke is a lot less weird than going outside to just sit. Looking cool is also a plus.

• Like 1

Why did you start smoking? If you have said before, could you give me a link to the post?

You know how people say they get their best ideas in the shower (there was even a joke on iCarly about it)? It's because shampooing your hair is a very mechanical activity and it lets your mind wander. Your body is working, but it's working on something that takes so little thought that it's basically on auto-pilot. If you try to fall asleep at night but find out can't because your mind is racing, it's because you aren't doing anything with your body. You're lying down, eyes shut, and that's a trigger for your brain to go off at 100 miles an hour. But, if you start to fidget, or get any sort of stimulation, you're gonna notice that you're thinking considerably less.

Smoking helps because of that. It's a mechanical activity that I do to help take the edge off. I get stressed really easily and I freak out and get nervous over almost everything, and it's nice that I finally have an "out", so to speak. If I have a bad day at work, or if I get frustrated at a drawing, or if I start thinking about the futility of life and human existence, or if I have to ask a girl out, or if I have to make a phone call, then I'm gonna have a cigarette to help calm myself down. I get a reason to go outside and do something that isn't a frustrating activity and it's not making me nervous about anything (I've smoked a cigarette for all of those reasons except asking a girl out because I started smoking after I decided to not date - but I still smoked whenever I knew I was seeing a girl I thought was attractive). I clear my head (though not my lungs) and then go back inside and get on with my life.

The social aspect is a plus. I would never start for the sole reason of wanting to make friends, but I have to admit that it's a nice bonus. I also have a reason to go outside, because going outside to smoke is a lot less weird than going outside to just sit. Looking cool is also a plus.

I'd probably choose a more healthy way to clear my mind, but ay, life decisions.

Like what?

Taking up some sort of hobby that doesn't take as much stress. I don't know, try collecting things or something. I don't care what you do, though. Everyone has a different way to relax, I just suggest something a bit more healthy.

I make Hot 100 rankings and post them on a SpongeBob forum.

Oh hey I have a similar obsession with reviewing media that people don't really care about like movies and music....on a SpongeBob forum.

Also I am OCD when it comes to making sure doors are locked.

To give a more serious answer, termi, I've found that a good workout does wonders for my stress levels. 40 minutes or so of cardio for me, but do whatever your limit is.

Honestly if I'm not going to find a job this summer I should probably get a gym membership so I can at least do something with my summer.

To give a more serious answer, termi, I've found that a good workout does wonders for my stress levels. 40 minutes or so of cardio for me, but do whatever your limit is.

Honestly if I'm not going to find a job this summer I should probably get a gym membership so I can at least do something with my summer.

I work out too, but in a pinch I think cigarettes work better/quicker. I'll also more often than not get a lot angrier/more frustrated if I work out when I'm angry/frustrated if I'm not doing as well as I want to be doing, and then it just becomes counter-intuitive. Like if I can't do X amount of push-ups or run for X amount of time then I'm gonna get pissed and stop.