• Advertisement

Krabs' backstory: KKTV vs. FoF

PatBack

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which backstory do you prefer?

• Friend or Foe?
    • Krusty Krab Training Video

Both episodes seem to have a conflicting backstory involving Mr. Krabs. In the former, he has always been a moderately rich trickster; whereas in the latter, he lived a poor childhood (hence him discovering money in barely grade school). Normally, this situation would not be such a problem. But the two episodes are supposed to be "informative". So, bluntly, which one do you prefer?

Personally, the Friend or Foe one is much more realistic, and for a show like Spongebob, that's a plus. Krusty Krab Training Video's one of the series' finest, on the other hand. Still, realism in Spongebob. Let that sink in. 

Both are entirely possible. :P Mr. Krabs wasn't portrayed as rich in KKTV, really, just as a trickster, like you said. He just had normal clothes on, which it's possible he bought with the money he eventually made making the patties. Krabs being a trickster like that is actually kind of in-line with him being poor, seeing as bein poor would make him want to keep all the money he could. The two back stories aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

Of course, in any case, I prefer Friend Or Foe's backstory to the hypothetical "Krabs was always rich" story. Krabs being poor gives his character a lot more justification and helps him make more sense.

• Like 2

Both man, you don't waste good back story and character development like these.

I came up with the theory not long ago that Krabs after he ditched Plankton and gained a little money off his burgers, got a little more rich. His mom and him eventually could move from their trailer to a pink anchor house Mama Krabs still lives in today. They didn't call him Eugeneage Krabs for nothing. KKTV implying he was a teenager in his flashback, while FoF he was only in elementary school. FoF literally follows the story from when he was an infant to around ten or so. KKTV is like his teenage to present years.

You know, just because he created those burgers as a kid doesn't mean he got into the restaurant business quickly. I see it as he became a pirate with a crew to fulfill his Grandpappy Redbeard's dream, soon enough ran out of money for his crew and sold his ship. (Which happened in the actual episode.) Maybe he got married after he became a navy man? The reason why I say this is I constantly get reminded about what KKTV said before. "After the war, Mr. Krabs fell into a depression that felt endless." I like to think that this "depression" came from the lost of his wife and the realization he'll have to take care of their daughter on his own. So he opens up a retirement home and eventually the Krusty Krab was born. (Insert baby cry here.) He sells his Krabby Patties he created so many years ago as a child (and were recreated in Dunces and Dragons, I'm going to make a topic for that explaining later.)

• Like 2

FoF literally follows the story from when he was an infant to around ten or so. KKTV is like his teenage to present years.

I originally believed this, but FoF's Krabs looks a bit older than KKTV's. Therefore, both backstories would take place in different planes of reality. Although that's just me. :P

I kind of side with the FoF story, mostly because I don't really take anything in Krusty Krab Training Video seriously. I also like the detail that Friend or Foe? goes into, and I feel like it explains a lot of things.

They explain his backstory more on Friend or Foe. KKTV didn't really focus that much on Mr. Krabs' personal life, but rather it was about being a Krusty Krab employee. The events of Friend or Foe truly explain what happened between Krabs and Plankton in the past.

Friend or Foe implies why Krabs is so cheap. It also shows why Plankton wants to steal the formula and gives Krabs more character depth than KKTV. Also,,the KKTV backstory is forgettable, I didn't remember there was one until I saw this poll.