• Advertisement

188a. Kenny the Cat

Jinjo

Rating?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: Kenny, you're my hero!
    • 4/5 Stars: Kenny the Cat ruled!
    • 3/5 Stars: How can that cat breath underwater?
    • 2/5 Stars: Kenny, how could you?!
    • 1/5 Stars: Kenny is a fraud...

The plot made about as much sense as I expected. I don't really understand why the Bikini Bottomites were so gullible as to actually believe that a cat has been holding its breath for 20 years. If it was just SpongeBob, I'd forgive it, but the entire town forming a cult around a land creature just because it says that it can hold its breath for a long time is too much of a stretch for me to ignore. Like jjs said, it's just a cartoon, and you could make the same arguments about how gullible everyone was in Wormy (which I liked a lot more than this ep), but I don't know. It left a bad taste in my mouth. The saving grace of this episode, as mentioned a few times before, was Biz Mar-kay's voice acting, which was top notch and quite enjoyable. I wish I could say the same about the character he was voicing, but Kenny just wasn't very interesting, and the way he deceived everybody for his own selfish purposes made it hard for me to sympathize with him. The moral of this episode seems to be "always be honest and always be yourself, or you'll be famous for a long time and eventually be found out, and after that, you won't really be worse off than you were before you famous; but in fact, you'll actually be better off because you had the experience of being famous." What a lesson to teach our kids.

tl;dr I give this episode a 5/10.

• Like 4

Didn't like this episode.  Dragged a lot and haven't liked the plot from when I first heard it.  It was as bad as I expected it to be.  I definitely thought hearing Biz Markie was awesome.  Probably made the episode a lot more tolerable for me.  Still didn't like it though.

3.5/10

I don't think it was bad. It just didn't fit very well. It was very different from any other episode.

They did these kind of episodes a lot in season 4. I think it's where I would place it. It did not fit the current season IMO.

I kind of liked the character, although I admit Kenny kind of came out of nowhere. He seems like a good one, but just so super random. But you know, Sandy's just as random if you think about it. The gags were good, but different. Again, I can't really judge it, since it's way too different from what I'm used to.

I'll play it safe and give it a 7,5/10.

• Like 1

I tend to be a pestimistic jerk when it comes to new SB episodes. I didn't have high hopes for this after the atrocity that was Don't Look Now, but this episode actually... wasn't too bad. Not amazing like Plankton's Pet, but it was okay for what it was worth. Spongebob was close to his original persona, the celebrity cameo was used well, and the jokes were okay at best. I'll give it a 7/10.

It looks like I'm in the minority with this but I liked the episode. It definitely wasn't amazing by any means, but for how ridiculous of a plot it was, it was handled pretty alright.

Da Good

-First off, the art took a massive upturn in this episode, in no small part thanks to Erik Wiese drawing storyboards again. The show feels like it's finally taking advantage of the HD and every joke just seems to be communicated so much better now.

-"If you keep holding your breath like that, you'll eventually lose consciousness. Tentacles crossed!"

-"What in clams' name is a 'the cat'?"

-Kenny himself was a pretty cool character/"so stupid it's funny" concept even if he was a fraud. I liked his design. Biz Markie's voice on him was pretty cool, although slightly wasted for how little screentime he actually got. His walk and random "a-ok" handsign thing was amusing to me for some reason.

-Patrick's joke about forgetting to eat was pretty funny. "There you are, Pocket Taco."

-SpongeBob's Kenny tramp stamp was amusing.

-"Swoon, swoon..."

-I should really talk about this to someone or I might get-

*dramatic zoom-in* 

...DEPRESSED"

-Seriously cannot express how much better the art was in this episode. Everything looked and felt so much more Season 4-ish as opposed to Season 7-8-ish. Even Sandy was drawn well and expressive in her suit for the first time in what feels like forever.

Da Bad

-As previously stated earlier in this thread, the plotholes were kinda annoying. How did Kenny know SpongeBob's name?

-"Mr. Krabs Makes A Profit Off Of The Episode's Main Attraction" Count: 27

-Another stupid ending. "Never trust a cat. Or is it a dog?" The show seems to have just totally forgotten how to end an episode well.

-Sandy, while justified in being a jerk at the end, still felt kinda jerky. It didn't even necessarily come out of left field, because she expressed her dislike/distrust of Kenny earlier in the episode, but... I don't know. Just didn't like that scene.

But aside from those complaints the episode worked for me. I can see why it wouldn't work for others, but for whatever reason it was good to me, had a lot of good lines and amazing art. I liked it, probably Cervalexander Lemons' best effort of the Season so far.

8/10.

sucks that after this we're probably getting yeti krabs though

• Like 4

I'm thinking that Kenny knew SpongeBob's name because he heard it from Mr. Krabs. 

What an excellent idea SpongeBob. A clean cat is a money making cat I always say. Please amend yourself to the lounge facilities.

Yeah he definitely heard it from Krabs.

Warped morality is what I call this episode. We are supposed to root for a selfish liar, who continues to take advantage of the townspeople's stupidity for his own wants? From a writing standpoint, Kenny is extremely unlikable. And so is Sandy. I'm going to spare the episode from a racism analogy, because it clearly isn't worth my time.

Some of the gags were funny (especially the Taco gag, which surprised me, considering that those types of jokes usually fall flat). But the plot was just, ugh. 2/5, it gets. There goes the last hope of Season 9a. 

I don't understand the people who think Sandy was too harsh, all she wanted to do is to find out the truth scientifically and morally. We get people like SpongeBob who is too in love with Kenny to tell that he's a liar. She didn't seem jerky to me tbh.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm just lenient on Spongebob episodes these days, but I didn't think this episode was that bad. I actually sort of liked it. But sure, its not the best episode of Season 9. The part that kind of bugged me was the Spongebob obsession/face paint part, but the tramp stamp tattoo got a chuckle out of me. I enjoyed Biz Markie's voice for Kenny, because its one of the more unique voices we've had in a while. Overall, I'd give this episode a 4/5.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, this episode was a lot better than I expected. The reason why I wasn't really looking forward to this episode is that I thought the writers were going to replace MermaidMan and Barnacle Boy with a superhero cat who can hold his breath for a long time. I misunderstood that because Kenny was just a famous cat rather than a hero. So yeah, I really liked this episode, seriously I did. It had some funny parts such as taco joke, Mr. Krabs thinking Kenny is in his wallet, a few Kenny fans holding their breath and the ending. I also laughed at couple of parts with SpongeBob's Kenny obession. By the way, Sandy wasn't really a jerk like some people said (Cha explained it well). Although Sandy saying that she never trusts cars felt like a little jerky (not sure If this is a real word) to me because It feels like Sandy thinks all cats are liars. Lets just say Sandy is okay in that episode. Anyway, I did really enjoyed watching this episode and I'm rating it 8.5/10. It may not be one of the best season 9 episodes but still pretty good.

I finally saw the episode and I really liked it. I Thought Kenny was a really cool character and the episode had a lot of funny moments.

I don't see why a lot of people TThought Sandy was a jerk. Kenny living a lie for fame and if Sandy wasn't gonna exploit have him, who would since SpongeBob is too nice of a guy to do it. At least Kenny found another way to be famous at the end.

• Like 1

Nothing awful here but nothing great. I did like how Spongebob took the news that Kenny was a fake, normally he would have just cried a whole lot or something stupid but he listened to Kenny and understood where he was coming from. I did not mind Sandy accidentally outing Kenny as it was inevitably going to happen in the episode, her and Spongebob acted a bit more mature in this episode I noticed. Something like that is note worthy to me as the characters have gotten more and more childish and annoying over the years. Also Biz Markie did a good job voice acting here, it's kinda cool to hear such a different voice in this show.

Grade - B+

This was a good episode. I know it sounded kinda odd, how he could hold his breath underwater. But it was a funny episode for me.

"I was merely emulating my latest media obsession, Kenny the Cat!" - SpongeBob

This episode was great, and when I say great, I mean great! The episode's plot is: SpongeBob finds a new obsession, a cat named Kenny. SpongeBob in this episode was very relateable, to me at least, just listening to him talk about Kenny to Mr. Krabs at the beginning of the episode, sounded 100% like me talking about SpongeBob. I really don't have anything else to say about this episode it's just great! It's my favorite "pre-movie" episode and favorite episode of the first half of Season 9. I highly recommend it. Overall I would give this episode a 10/10, an AMAZING episode!

biz-markie-kenny-the-cat-spongebob-lead.

Edited by Invincibubble
  • Like 1