• Advertisement

188a. Kenny the Cat

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: Kenny, you're my hero!
    • 4/5 Stars: Kenny the Cat ruled!
    • 3/5 Stars: How can that cat breath underwater?
    • 2/5 Stars: Kenny, how could you?!
    • 1/5 Stars: Kenny is a fraud...

sbkennythecat_zps708529eb.jpg

Premieres:
Saturday, March 29th @ 7:45pm ET/PT

Encores:
N/A

Plot:

SpongeBob looks up to a new superhero: Kenny the Cat, a cat who can hold his breath for an incredible amount of time. 

Special Guest Star: Biz Markie

Clips:

http://spongebob.nick.com/videos/clip/spongebob-squarepants-188-clip.html

http://vimeo.com/90256377

I remember when this episode was first revealed in December 2012, not many people were looking forward to it, and I can see why. This was yet another episode that aired in Greece before us, and I have seen it in Greek. I'm holding off my thoughts until it airs in English however, just to have a fair opinion.

I wonder if they named the cat, Kenny, as a reference to voice actor Tom KENNY who actually VOICES Spongebob Squarepants? :o It sure will be interesting to see a cat on "Spongebob Squarepants" for the very first time! :D Enough said! ;)

• Like 1

Been hearing about this episode for a while, even though I was a bit skeptical about seeing a cat in Bikini Bottom (specially under that plot) I wanna see this eppie, also Biz Markie sounds awesome as Kenny.

And I totally love the reference to Tom the cat and Tom Kenny :3 

There was particularly nothing wrong with this episode I suppose, like no annoying gags or anything. Just wasn't that funny, I felt like it needed more variety of places and it was predictable a bit. (Then again I watched it in Greek ages ago.) The obsession part reminded me of my obsession with SB and the conversations of Sandy were a bit amusing. Not bad, not great. I liked Kenny's voice though and I'm glad he didn't turn out villainous.

5/10

Will watch again soon to get my full thoughts.

Eh...

Didn't really care for this episode. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good either. It wasn't very funny, and SpongeBob's obsession got a bit annoying. There were quite a few plot holes as well. How could Kenny breath underwater with his mouth open in several scenes near the end, even without his oxygen tank? I know it's a cartoon, but they didn't even really try to explain it whatsoever. In the past they at least tried to explain it or do it for comedic purposes, but here it was a major point in the episode. There was also a strange inconsistency at one point where Kenny seems to know SpongeBob's name, yet SpongeBob never told him his name beforehand (thanks JCM for catching that). I guess those flaws are probably the result of not having a Story Editor this season to catch these mistakes. :/ I also really did not like Sandy's portrayal in this episode. I can't help but feel the writers are struggling to write her this season, considering this episode and Squid Defense. The main problem is that the idea of the episode doesn't make for a good plot. I was hoping they'd execute it better, but alas, sadly not. I give them credit for trying however. Biz Markie's voice acting was cool, though it did feel a bit off. Again, not a horrible episode, but it wasn't an episode I'd re-watch anytime soon.

EDIT: Didn't realize Kenny claimed he was holding his breath for 20 years. That makes this episode even more odd than it already is.

Grade: C

• Like 1