• Advertisement

Unpopular Opinions You Have About SpongeBob Episodes

Clappy

I was thinking of making a topic based on episodes that some of us love/hate and everyone else hates/love, vice versa, but there's this thread, so I might as well become more specific on the episodes I have unpopular opinions for:

Episodes I hate but everyone else adores:

Spoiler

Rock-a-Bye Bivalve: This is probably my most unpopular one, considering that I've seen lots of praise being backed up in the SBC's Top 50 Worst Spongebob Episodes list, looking back. I'll still won't be able to understand the praise it gets over my own opinion. I found the humor to be less sharp than most pre-movie episodes other than the "guy gets hit in the head by a coconut" gag. Patrick and Spongebob being argumentive and jerks in front of each other is logical, from what I can see, but obviously I'm not a big fan of seeing Spongebob going OOC. Patrick's laziness as a parent was to the point that I find it utterly ridiculous and that his 'lazy dad' role was losing its luster. I am certainly not homophobic, I think the implications are okay, but I wish that wouldn't turn into a big deal where some specific conservatives would be labeling Spongebob as part of the homosexual agenda have "Spongebob is gay" apparently being a point of criticism.

Can You Spare a Dime?: I know it's not the end of the world if Spongebob loosens up his happy side and break out of character for an episode like this, but this is just a painful example. You got Squidward taking advantage of Spongebob's hospitality to where he would probably be acting intolerable in front of Spongebob, then you get Spongebob acting intolerable in front of Squidward himself, whom would keep pressuring the octopus to get a job during one part of the episode and then Spongebob shaking his boss before the big reveal of Mr. Krabs' dime. I would also believe the fact that Mr. Krabs couldn't find his dime in his pants is basically why all these things happened. The characterization was just too bad (only according to me would I say 'bad') for me too handle while Gary and the free samples fish were apparently the only characters I could tolerate during this episode.

As Seen on TV: Hated this since my childhood, not much to argue with here.

Sleepy Time: Same for ASoTV, but given a mean-spirited ending.

Home Sweet Pineapple: I know the nematodes' plot relevance is how the episode is meant to happen, but in my eyes, I feel the nematode invasion could be brought up more and look more than just plot relevance while the gags behind Spongebob trying to sleep with Patrick to be rather lacking and tired than hilarious. I wouldn't care if nobody agrees with me here, but I seemed to have disliked this ep. during my childhood as well.

Episodes I love but everyone else hates:

Spoiler

Funny Pants: Yes, I like Funny Pants, big whoop. The laughter and crying doesn't at least take over more than whatever was left of the 11 minutes and I found it rather funny from the things that pop up while Spongebob attempts not to laugh to Squidward cracking up hard enough to literally break his laugh box.

Truth or Square?: More of a love-hate type of hour-long episode, but I get utterly ticked when people consider this "a waste of time," "lazy," or "disrespectful for a 10 year milestone," when I can pretty much tell that the staff did as much effort possible to make it look like a good enough celebration episode. I happen to love this episode for a list of things I can't explain at the moment. Also, who cares if Patchy gets as much spotlight as the animated characters? I felt that Patchy had some of his witty moments as well, quite unpopular for me to say.

Atlantis Squarepantis: I felt impressed when I saw this in its entirety and thankful that the show finally got itself an hour-long special. Then again, we got Patchy to interfere, but I never usually mind such a character that everyone hates. The hate I see for it probably means nothing much to me now, so if I like it, then I still happen to like it.

Pineapple Fever: I find this episode funny even for a round of jokes that feel slow paced.

House Fancy: Put that "one scene that's apparently still relevant to talk about" aside and you can see why I seem to enjoy this episode. I liked seeing Squilliam's house while it was nice enough to make Squidward the winner. I could see some praise from that, but nope. That god forsaken scene is the one thing it's only notable for and automatically makes "House Fancy" look like a stinker.

Penny Foolish: Safe Deposit Krabs is better and this more of a C+ grade episode like House Fancy IMO, but I don't see anything so bad about this episode compared to what I see from everyone else on what they say about it. It's a stupid plot, but I don't think it was that idiotic. I do feel that Mr. Krabs' character was a bit over-exaggerated, but he would do anything for money, even for a petty little penny, which I see as the point. Mr. Krabs wasn't at least being a jerk and just acting crazy and I found this episode fairly entertaining.

I like growth spout, yeah he has a restaurant but a lot of the gags are funny, and it's awkward but intentionally so in a funny way. The squidward and the cops parts are the best

I don't find the scent of money so bad, I know krabs is an utter jerk but again the jokes hit for me not as good as the other episodes I'm listing but it wasn't terrible

Penny foolish has a lame plot but once again the Jokes hit me and it's not that krabs is crazy about a single penny it's a "free penny" and that Spongebob found it drives him crazy. Lots of laughs in this episode make up for a simple plot.

Basically like Clappy said a lot of people are quick to write off a lot of good or decent episodes as squid abuse, a lot of people do that with Cheap Krabs episodes which can be funny with if there are good gags

• Like 2

Also love blackened Spongebob, hilarious Jokes, plot moves well, the ending is funny, just great overall episode.

Definitely in my top 25

I didn't care about the episode at first, even after PIEGUYRULZ said he loved the episode but watching it once again, It was funnier than I remembered. It has really good jokes. The plot is dumb but the jokes made up for it.
  • Like 1

Patrick and Krabs started going downhill right after Season 1 while the other characters got better before starting to decline for me after the movie.

I still think Patrick was funny in season 2-5 but yeah Mr. Krabs became an unlikeable chsracter after 2.

:okay:  - I has my share of duds,but I'm  still going strong! :laugh:  BAHAHAHAHAHA!

:SquidGroan: - Too strong... :angry: 

:hehe: - Dowehoheeeeeeeee! :hysterical:

These opinions are glorious.

Also, even though it will never happen, if Plankton uncovers the secret formula, I would be happy.

These opinions are glorious.

Also, even though it will never happen, if Plankton uncovers the secret formula, I would be happy.

Well to be fair in the movie he does and is sent to prison for it. I wonder what would happen if they release him, would Mr. Krabs get a legal order saying he can't copy their formula?

:okay: - I has my share of duds,but I'm  still going strong! :laugh:  BAHAHAHAHAHA!

:SquidGroan: - Too strong... :angry:

:hehe: - Dowehoheeeeeeeee! :hysterical:

And now we examine the beautiful post that's the only one this guy made.

Back on topic, Ugh isn't as bad as people say it is, it's actually kinda funny at some points.