• Advertisement

I owe SBC an apology...

Guest hilaryfan80

Guest hilaryfan80

Around midnight last night, something terrible happened. During a routine check, I noted that there was a minor problem with our "members" table (where all of your login information is stored) where some people were missing (most notably jjs did not exist anymore). Normally this is not an issue - I would just pull up a backup and bring those members back. However, something happened this time. Call it human error - who knows. I restored to a temporary "sbc-backup" database, but in the midst of restoring the backup, it somehow ended up in SBC's actual database, reverting the entire forums back to October 21st, 2015 at 3:55 PM EDT. Of course, I shrugged it off and said, "Hm, then I'll get the backup for November 30th. No big deal!" It turns out that there hasn't been a backup since October 21st. At this point, I am freaking out because I had effectively wiped out an entire month's worth of posts and topics. Then I had a genius little idea: I was working on the posts a few days ago, so I had a backup of every single post! I was able to bring back all posts made in topics that were made prior to October 22nd, and I can easily restore posts if the appropriate topic is made. However, there's a cravat: I cannot automatically bring back posts in topics made after October 21st. Why? Because the topic did not exist then.

So not all is lost, but it did create a lot of chaos. The majority of our posts are back. I've calculated that there are some 1,000 posts missing, but it could be a lot worse: we could be missing all of November 2015! All badges and chat logs are still around since that information is kept away from the main SBC database. The only thing I cannot bring back is your avatar, as you'll notice that a lot of people have broken avatars. You can fix this yourself, however.

Therefore, I will give this as an option: if you have posted a spin-off or otherwise important topic that was made after October 21st, I will try my best to bring that topic back. However, as I have to do this completely manually, I will not bring back topics that are pointless or otherwise could be restarted (e.g. a topic about Gravity Falls could easily be restarted, but my spin-off SpongeTown: The Uprising can not). You must PM me your request as well.

I deeply apologize for this. We all make mistakes - it's just that this one was a huge one. I normally do not make large mistakes like this, and I was able to spend a huge part of this morning restoring a bunch of these posts (over 12,000 of them, in fact!).

Please do not report any bugs for the time being. This does drastically slow things down, especially since a lot of SBC is broken at the moment.

Edited by hilaryfan80

No wonder my username reverted back to "imrustyokay"

Anyway, I accept your apology. Huh, My power went out for an hour last night (which made me miss an Angry Beavers episode that I wanted to watch, I could just buy the DVD) so, coincidence? 

*plays x-files theme*

Edited by imrustyokay

Guest hilaryfan80
8 minutes ago, imrustyokay said:

More like The Lost Month

Nah, it's not a lost month. Most the month is here actually. It's only a few of the posts that were made in topics post-10/21/15 that are not here, but I am slowly restoring them. Even then, they're not "lost" because I have copies of them.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

Nah, it's not a lost month. Most the month is here actually. It's only a few of the posts that were made in topics post-10/21/15 that are not here, but I am slowly restoring them. Even then, they're not "lost" because I have copies of them.

Oh, okay.

Guest hilaryfan80

Also, if you want to have the Supporter badge and 25 doubloons every day, you will have to go to your profile and turn "Enable Ads?" back on. We did not have this feature back in October 21st, so I had to recreate it.

34 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

Can you revive my Hey Arnold revival topic?

That's a pretty easy topic to simply remake.  No offense.

Can you revive Best and Worst of Entertainment 2015?  There was already one of the countdowns that I posted that I didn't save to my flash drive that would be very hard to rewrite.

• Like 1

@Teamwork @Hayden @Clappy - Please PM hilaryfan80 these requests for topic revivals if you haven't done so already. He has a lot going on right now and he's trying to stay organized as much as possible. Requests need to be sent by PM, not posted in this topic.